Possible info about sparky13's noise

I found today on a 2006 Sonata a broken fuel pump assembly. The customer's complaint was about an inaccurate fuel gauge. The fuel pump module assembly had broken away from the part held onto the top of the tank, and was pretty much moving around and laying in various positions on the fuel sender, causing the readings to be erroneous. Your noise may be caused by a similar condition.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Thanks for this report, Hyundaitech! I have started noticing a similar noise to what sparky13 reported. Can you be more specific as to how inaccurate the gas gauge was? I think mine is off a little, but not enough to complain about. I am going in for my first oil change on Friday and am trying to coordinate everything in one shot: Auto door locks, oil change, recall(s) and so on.

Thanks. Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Well, I never got a consistent statement from the advisor beyond the statement that the customer drove 160 miles and the gauge was still on full.

I now have evidence that the noise is a different issue that Hyundai considers this noise normal. See my other post.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Well, I had a car in the shop today making the noise sparky13 describes. Thinking it was probably a broken fuel pump module, I pulled it out to check. Guess what? Everything was intact and I found nothing rolling around in the tank.

In fact, considering the discussion here, I figured this was a common complaint by now and called Hyundai to see what their official position is. According to Hyundai, the fuel tank has no baffles and the noise occurs because the fuel actually is sloshing around and is normal.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

K, thanks.