06 Sonata - Rear Clunking Noise

This is driving me crazy. After hitting smaller bumps going no more than 40 mph I hear what appears to be a recurring clunking/rattling noise almost as if the rear suspension isn't absorbing the impact (it is though). It's a definite rattle and related to hitting the bump. It's most pronounced in the passenger rear as I had a friend drive me around while I was in the trunk. I've heard some talk briefly about this, but no fixes have been offered or suggested. It's been to the dealer to no avail and I've even driven the same vehicle and the noise is present in that too. It's a GLS with V6 and 17" tires. Anyone else experiencing this too?

Reply to
Zy

It's probably the gas tank. Try again with a very full tank, and see if the noise is cured.

Reply to
Bob

sounds like a dealer service issue, with or without a full tank of gas is irrelevant. take it and have them look at it.

also, how well do you trust you friend driving you in the trunk? that would concern me a lot more.

Reply to
news

Yep, I have the problem too.

It's not related to the fuel level... I tested that last night.

As soon as the weather warms up a little in May, I will be climbing underneath the car and pushing, shoving, and tapping on things to find out what's loose back there. I bet a little neoprene foam could work wonders.

If you listen for it, it will drive you nuts. Ignore it... if you can. :)

PS: Did you test the internal trunk release? Hey, Jimmy Hoffa could be alive today if he would have had one.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

This is driving me crazy. After hitting smaller bumps going no more than

40

Yep, I have the problem too.

It's not related to the fuel level... I tested that last night.

As soon as the weather warms up a little in May, I will be climbing underneath the car and pushing, shoving, and tapping on things to find out what's loose back there. I bet a little neoprene foam could work wonders.

If you listen for it, it will drive you nuts. Ignore it... if you can. :)

PS: Did you test the internal trunk release? Hey, Jimmy Hoffa could be alive today if he would have had one.

Reply to
wolfcub27540

The clunking in the suspension is unfortunately a characteristic of the vehicle. The noise transmits too well from the suspension through the rear shock mounts and there is little insulation in the rear area of the vehicle. I have no idea whether Hyundai intends to address these issues with design revisions or whether such revisions can be made retroactive.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Wonder if poly urethane washers could be used to help isolate the noise transmitted through the shock mounts?

Reply to
Bob Adkins

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

HT, is there any indication as to why only some vehicles experience this noise? A friend of mine recently picked up an '06 LX, and I hear this noise while in his car, but not in my '06 GLS V6.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Thanks for the info. Good to hear that these issues have been reported to Hyundai Motor co...My 2006 Sonata GLS V6, 1500 miles, has the first two...clunking rear and rumbling gas tank when full. Please post any solutions you have found...

Thanks, Seppo

wolfcub27540 wrote:

Reply to
Seppo

1 thing is for sure, we haven't heard the last of this one. The natives are getting restless...
Reply to
Bob Adkins

Doubtful that it's just a "noisy" suspension. I got a chance to ride in the trunk and it's only from the passenger side, not the driver's. The noise isn't a clunk and then it's over. It's goes on for a couple seconds sounding as if something is loose. I highly suspect the exhaust system, but haven't given it enough look-see yet. Perhaps the rubber isolators in the hangars are to blame. Let me know if anyone else has any ideas.

Reply to
Zy

It sounds like you may have an actual problem then, Zy. If that's the case, the dealer should be willing to investigate until they determine the cause and repair it. I've seen a couple with itching noises, but never an actual abnormal clunk noise. I did have one car, however, where the customer was complaining of an inaccurate fuel gauge and found the fuel pump module broken off the mounting plate in the top of the tank, leaving the module loose enough to bounce around the tank.

Reply to
hyundaitech

A coworker investigated the suspension noise on one car (V6, unsure of trim level). He found it to be coming from both rear strut tower areas. And it sounded like shock noise. Everything was tight. He also drove another car with the same package and it sounded the same.

In fact, I thought the noise was present in all. But it's possible the suspensions are different in some models, causing the noise to not be present in all of them.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

It is entirely possible that the sound is present in my car also. I just have never noticed it. And I am usually sensitive to that kind of noise too. I will listen for it further and see if I can reproduce it.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

You guys have my sympathy, because noises like that can be a real nightmare to fix.

Let's HOPE it's the shocks themselves. That would be the most painless remedy for Hyundai, the dealers, and the customers.

Even if the shocks aren't defective, perhaps another shock profile can heel in the noise. That could also possibly fix that little "floaty" feeling you get on smooth roads at cruising speeds.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

That type of issue was exactly what I suspected with my 06 sonata.

It does not sound like an unusual noise or noise level to me! Rather, the vehicle is so quiet in all other respects it really stands out. On many cars, the same noise would be masked by others.

Given that, if the intent was to make a very quiet car, it is a defect in design. Sure hope they can fix it.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

replying to Zy, fred roberts wrote: i have a 2009 sonata low kms top car can not find the rattle in boot area. have stripped back seat and boot, still rattles after hitting a small bump,this car must be sold. fred

Reply to
fred roberts

My 2010 NF Sonata had the same thing. Dealer found nothing over 3-4 visits. Eventually fixed it myself. The rear roll bar had the usual little drop rods at the ends to suspension but was supported by two brackets on suspension "chassis" . The roll bar was banging back and forth between those two brackets. Just loosened brackets (15 mm socket from memory) and moved them so that there was less play. Was some time ago but inwards seems to ring a bell. May or may not be the same on your car.

replying to Zy, fred roberts wrote: i have a 2009 sonata low kms top car can not find the rattle in boot area. have stripped back seat and boot, still rattles after hitting a small bump,this car must be sold. fred

Reply to
John