Question about a 1996 elantra

Hi,

My old car had some strange behavior last week. I have an automatic transmission, and when I was accelerating (from idle) the RPM seemed to climb very high without changing gears. So (before the engine blew or something) I released the gaz pedal and it went back to normal when I started accelerating again. It did so 3-4 times in a row.

I must say that day it was raining, maybe that could've affected. Also I tried with and without the "power" button near the transmission. The only thing that seemed to fix my problem was to dis-engage the "overdrive". After that it never happened again.

I took the car the day after and with or without overdrive it went well... I just don't know what to think. Do you think the transmission is slowly dieing?

Thanks!

Reply to
Julien BH

If it didn't act like it was in neutral, it's probably a simpler issue such as a pulse generator or poor contact in the pulse generator connector. If the transmission control module doesn't receive proper information regarding the transmission input and output speeds, it doesn't know when to properly shift the transmission. This can also happen if the throttle position sensor provides an erroneous signal, causing the transmission control module to think you have the accelerator floored.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

No it was really acting as though it was in neutral. But it's been 2 days it OK.

Reply to
Julien BH

That's not good, then. The range switch and shift cable (and their adjustment) as well as the fluid level are suspect, but more likely you have a serious transmission problem.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Here's your original post:

Now you are saying it acted like it was in neutral. What you describe above is far from acting like it was in neutral. You are describing a transmission that is not shifting out of a lower gear. Acting like it was in neutral would mean that the car never moved. The most important part of getting help with problems like this is accurate descriptions of the problem. You might want to backtrack a bit and straighten out the confusion at this point.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Not likely yet HT. Take a look back through - the OP has posted contradictory descriptions of the problem. Well worth getting the problem defined again.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You're right Mike. Sorry about the contradictions. It was really acting like it was revving in neutral, (ie not going faster and faster) And then it skipped and the transmission entered in function again (was not in neutral anymore). It did this 2-3 times at low speed. Once the 3rd gear was on, the problem was not noticeable. Thanks guys!

Reply to
Julien BH

Just to make sure everyone understood, the car was moving, but not accelerating. Like if I was pressing the pedal in the neutral position.

Reply to
Julien BH

So - to me, acting like it was in neutral would imply that it was coasting to a stop. Did it appear to lose speed, or just not accelerate any further. If the latter, then I'd suggest that the car was at a shift point, but not shifting.

Sometimes the semantics are the hardest part...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Wow that's really hard to answer. It's not like it stayed like that for a minute. It was a question of seconds (like 2 or 3). Yesterday I was driving and put my transmission to neutral while moving. It was approximately the same thing. But it would need to happen again for me to really answer your question... (and I don't want that to happen haha)

Reply to
Julien BH

So, the next time, while it is acting up, take your foot off the gas and let the car slow down 5-10 mph. Then, accelerate again. Does the car accelerate, or not? If it does, then it sounds like the car is simply at a shift point (what are the RPM's when this is happening?), but not shifting. You reach a point in any gear, where the car runs out of the ability to accelerate any further. If it does not, then it sounds like transmission slippage and that would be costly.

You are really at a point though where you have to define the problem more thoroughly. It's impossible to make any determinations from what you've been able to describe to-date. I do not remember from previous posts - have you had the transmission scanned? That would be a first order of business.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"So, the next time, while it is acting up, take your foot off the gas and let the car slow down 5-10 mph. Then, accelerate again. Does the car accelerate, or not? If it does, then it sounds like the car is simply at a shift point (what are the RPM's when this is happening?), but not shifting."

This isn't necessarily true and isn't terribly helpful as a diagnostic tool. While it's true that it could be an extended shift, one element of the transmission could be slipping, causing for example, third gear to slip. Upon slowing down to 10-15 MPH and accelerating, it's unlikely the car will still be in third gear and will accelerate normally again until it tries shifting into third. Either scenario, however, doesn't bode well. Most likely, it's an internal transmission problem.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

No - I suggested simply slowing down 5-10mph. The issue I'm having is understanding exactly what the OP is trying to say. I'm confused by the different reports.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well well my friends, I'm back. Guess what, today it was raining again ... so here came the slippage thing with it. When the transmission slips Mike, I'm at 10mph ALREADY. The problem is located between the 1rst and 2nd gear since when I start going faster the car behaves well.. I really think it's more of a transmission problem.

When I let go of the pedal for like 5 seconds and I press again the car starts accelerating but BANG! Shifts up (or down) at a bad moment and the car don't like it. (ouch). It did that 3-4 times today. And then it was okay again.

Reply to
Julien BH

I don't know. I'm not so certain now. Depending on the problem, the TCM may fail to shift the car into second gear when appropriate, resulting on very high rpms until the TCM realizes there's a problem, and then it abruptly shifts the car into third. I'm with Mike on this. You should take the car to a professional (preferably a dealer-- they probably won't want to toss a reman or do a rebuild for every possible problem-- to experience the issue and perform a diagnosis.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Could it be transmission oil ? I'll try to take it to the garage on saturday

Reply to
Julien BH

If it's low, possibly. I'd expect Canadian Tire to be competent in checking fluid levels, though. Of course, you could always check it yourself per the procedure in the owner's manual (fluid hot, vehicle idling in neutral on level ground with parking brake applied).

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Sorry. Confused this thread with another. Please disregard the Canadian Tire reference in the previous reply.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks hyundaitech, I'll make a quick check this afternoon :)

Reply to
Julien BH

I wonder if the rain has something to do with it of if it is just a coincidence. Maybe an electrical contact that causes problems with high humidity?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Muller