Re: code reader

My husband bought this car @ a parking lot dealership, after owning the thing for 7 days the Overdrive started to act up and it appeared that the car was not going into 4 gear. We took the car back and they indicated that since the mileage had hit 50K miles that the transmission fluid should be flushed; so we got that gone. The car appeared to be working as if nothing had happened until 30 days after that when my husband was driving on I-10 in AZ and the engine began to rev up uncontrolablly, but the overdrive was still working. The hubby turned off the overdrive switch off and the problem stopped. Then the Check Engine light kept going on and off. We finally took it in to a repair shop and they told us that the computer was not reading the correct codes and that we needed to get them erased and reuploaded (if that's what you call it). Then went in to the Hyundai Dealership in Petre Phoenix, Az and they said that the transmission may have to be replaced, I think it's because I'm a woman and they want to make a buck. I spoke with another repair tech and he said that I have to get the transmission fluid drained, not flushed and have the wires inspected. So what are your thoughts regarding whether it's the tranny, computer codes or overdrive switch not working? To the date the car will not go into 4th gear when it is driven on the highway, so we are forced to take side roads.

Reply to
marid

There is a TSB on a diagnostic sheet on the Hyundai tech site

that they should be using. Once youget login authority (Easy) select the Elantra, then 1999, then TSB(technical service bulletin). It is the first document in the TRANSAXLEcategory.

Lazy bums!

Gordo

Reply to
Gordo

Who did the transmission flush? If it wasn't a Hyundai dealer, they probably installed the wrong type of fluid, which will trash the transmission. You can go back to them and demand that they pay for the repair, but they'll likely refuse and claim that the tranny failure is unrelated to the work they did and is due to age of the car. If that's the case, you can try suing them for the cost of a new one, but that's likely to be your only recourse.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Hello Brian N, I will have to go to a Hyundai Dealership and get it replaced. Yes you are right, I tried that already and they claim that it is not their error since the vehicle had issues when they bought it from the previous owner. So I guess I'm at square one. I just take it in, have them read the codes, add/delete or modify whatever they need to do and go from there. I appreciate your words. Thanks again, Mari D

Reply to
marid