Re: Is rust on the wheel drums normal?

Hello Tom,

WM> Reply to message from "Tom" (Thu, 16 Nov WM> 2006 20: 58:06) about "Re: Is rust on the wheel drums normal?": WM> T>> Well, I hate to break it to you, Wayne, but the Sonata DOES have T>> rear brake shoes in a drum for the parking brake system. I just T>> logged into the Hyundai Tech site and looked at the system. T>> WM> Hmm .. learn something new every day I guess - I stand corrected. WM> WM> I wonder if my Tiburon and the Elantra GTs have this same hybrid WM> brake system at the rear.....? WM> WM> Must check Webtech when I am next on my laptop.

Follow up ... I was under the Tib today and the parking brake cable runs straight to the calipers. This was confirmed by Webtech, i.e. while the Sonata has drum shoes insides the crown of the rear rotors, the Tib has no such configuration. Neither did the 2002 Elantra GT I had.

So, there are both types.

Regards, Wayne Moses

Reply to
Wayne Moses

Tom

On the point you didn't follow, I made it as confusing as possible. :o) I was thinking just as a caliper and not fore/aft on the car. Forward was moving out of the caliper and back was retracting into the caliper bore. There are pistons on each side or just one side of the disc that move back and forth. I see that there is a cam that moves the piston forward. One more thing to leak............ Oh well.

02:28) about "Re: Is rust on the wheel drums normal?":

T> That's interesting, Wayne. How do they get enough mechanical advantage T> on the disc pads?

A very good question. The handbrake on my Tib probably needs adjusting (I am too busy / lazy at the moment) but I don't recall it ever being particularly effective. Maybe that is the reason. That said, it never rolled down my sloped driveway either.

T> Does the cable work another hydraulic cylinder?

Not that I can tell, but I seriously doubt it based on how it was attached to the rear caliper.

T> If the T> calipers were forced forward, the disc cylinders would just get pushed T> into the calipers.

I am not following you here - the calipers are side-to-side not fore-aft so how can they be pushed forward? What disc cylinders?

T> I guess it's my turn to go searching to find the answer. :o) T> Intriguing.

lndeed. Check Webtech ... its exploded diagram shows what I saw assembled. :-)

Best Regards Wayne Moses Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:42:22 -0600

Tom