Uh-Oh...Drove w/the parking break on... HELP!

Okay, so I get my car today... it was my dad?s old car; 2001 Camry. And to be honest I only drove it twice in my life; I always drove my moms. Anyway, I had to park on a hill today so I put the parking break on. Well, I had a bad night and I was talking to my friend about it and we got in the car and I didn?t even think to take the parking break off because I was too caught up in what I was doing. So basically, I drove off; the car didn?t do anything at all... it didn?t feel weird, so I had no clue. (I never had to use the PB w/my mom?s car) We get to where we were going and when we got out I started to smell this stench coming from the exhaust. It was horrible... it was sort of like a burning smell but not really. Kinda just stinky. I get back in the car, and realize that the parking break lever was up. I had a heart attack... we didn?t drive THAT far, but it was far enough; maybe about a 15 minute drive w/it on. After I put it off and parked and got our coffee and came back out an hour later, I started up the car, drove across the street and into another parking lot, got out and smelled the car. It still smelled a TINY BIT but not really that much. I went home, and smelled it again and it was BARELY noticeable, but still there. And now I?m here. Did I ruin my car? My car that I JUST got today, UGHHH. I?m really scared, does anybody know if something could be wrong? The car ran fine the whole way home, though. So I?m just wondering... Thanks.

Reply to
greeneyesxo

You smoked the brakes, obviously. That's what you smelled.

If I'm not mistaken, the parking brake sets the rear brakes. You may have glazed them... and heating the rotor probably didn't do it any good. hmmm... I wonder if you cooked the brake fluid.

You didn't have any problems driving home because the front brakes are used more than the back, when braking under normal conditions. Still, you need to check the rear brakes -- you don't know what damage was done until you look.

Reply to
Hopkins

Depends whether you have drum or disk rear brakes. You ought to be able to see the drum or disk. Drum brakes have a cable that activates the brake shoes. Disk brakes (on all 6 cylinders I think) have a separate little drum with parking brake shoes in them, so riding the parking brake would have no effect on the standard rear disk brake pads. Whichever you have, the odor was the brake lining overheating and burning. In no way means you "ruined your car". Worst case, you would need to replace brake pads and possibly turn (or replace) drums. Best case, brakes are stil OK just worn more rapidly.

Reply to
Daniel

Its a 6 cylinder? Must be for you not to notice the drop in power. If the 6 uses the rear standard pads and disk, then you should have it inspected for charred linings,...if it uses separate shoes and drum ( a mini version of std shoes and drum) they wil have worn out,...that has been my experience of a GM Holden out here (Australia) subjected to the same thing. In either case, you'll need an inspection.

Modt of us do it at least once,...but perhaps for not so long..

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I had to park on a hill today so I put the parking break (sic) =========== Here's another suggestion, after you get it fixed. When you park on a hill, before you turn off the engine, put the car in Neutral, and set the parking brake, then ease off the main service brake and pull up another notch or two on the parking brake lever as required to hold the car from moving, then shift into Park and turn off the engine. That way, you won't forget to release the parking brake when starting off and it will save putting extra load on the parking pawl in the transmission, so it will release more easily when shifting back out of Park. Plus, you'll learn how to set the Parking brake. I happened to be using the parking brake last night at a drive through, with the car idling in Neutral, two separate times took my foot off the service brake - but the car didn't creep forward - reminding me to release the parking brake. ============= By the way. Try this before doing work on the parking brake. If it still holds the car, they may be working fine, even though you burned the linings one time.

Reply to
Daniel

I too made that mistake on my 2002 Camry LE V6. Drove it at highway speeds and realized that shake was because of the damn handbrake being up.

When I got to my first brake job at 60,000 miles, I replaced the rear pads, and sanded the front and back rotors and they were good as new. The front pads were just fine, the rears were worn off because of the parking brake being on.

Reply to
Car Guy

Oh, and I also purged the brake fluid to make sure that fresh fluid was there and it was not burnt.

Reply to
Car Guy

Chill it aint that big a deal.

I did it last month after a trip to the dealer, one of the mechanics set the flipping brake and I didn't notice until 5 miles down the highway when the heated brake pads caught my attention.

If you want to do something get a basic brake job. Stay away from midas and such all they do is upsell.

Reply to
nunya

You usually ignore the IDIOT lights?

Reply to
Sharx35

If you have disc brakes in the rear, the parking brake is a drum type brake, the drum being the hub in the rotor. The shoes are about 4mm thick. Tolerance is 1-2 mm. You have to drive a LONG time with the P Brake on before you need new shoes. The Toyota dealers I deal with have NEVER sold parking brake shoes, and they are not available aftermarket. I'd say, if this is the system you have, you're good.

Also, were the brakes smoking? I wouldn't worry a lot if not. I drove mine with a sticking caliper; 15 minutes and I had billows of smoke pouring out! (Yeah, I know the smell you're talking about! Smells like some piece of electronic equipment smoked bad!)

If the pedal gets spongy, it means you boiled the brake fluid. You would have noticed this while you were driving. If this didn't happen ,get your usual brake service done about 5-7,000 miles earlier, and have them flush the brake system (unless you do it yourself...)

Reply to
hachiroku