Switching between synthetic and regular oil

I've been using Castrol synthetic oil in my Elantra. When I went for an oil change recently and asked for regular oil I was told that since they had been putting synthetic in my car they would not switch back to regular oil. Would it in fact put the engine at risk to use regular oil?

Reply to
VicTek

No, but I'm curious why you would want to switch back after having used synthetic.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

No, no risk at all. Even though I don't do it, you can even mix regular and synthetic together and put it in your engine. Most oil companies now sell blends and mixing two quarts of each is just making a blend. Who told you they wouldn't put in conventional oil?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Wal-Mart - the employee said something along the lines of "if we switch the oil and you have engine problems Wal-Mart would be responsible".

Reply to
VicTek

Only because cash is a little tight at the moment and I wanted to save twenty dollars. I prefer the synthetic and I will probably keep using it since the Wal-mart lube & oil package is still the best bang for the buck in my area. I don't like being fed misinformation though.

Reply to
VicTek

Wal-Mart, that explains it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Yeah. Well, they must have heard about the McDonalds "coffee" suit. :^)

Reply to
VicTek

Oh that's hilarious.

If your car fell off the lift, got stolen, left the shop without an oil filter or pan bolt, filled the crankcase with canned milk instead of oil, or if any of a dozen other things happened to destroy the car or the engine, they'd totally deny responsibility.

But swap synth for dino and suddenly they claim they'd be responsible for something?!?!

hee hee

VicTek wrote:

Reply to
PMDR

Well - that explains a great deal.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

And you are - being fed misinformation. I've never paid for an oil change so I don't know the difference in price between a synthetic change and a dino change. I understand cash being tight and if it is then at least walk away with the confidence that you're really not hurting your motor in any way by switching between the two.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You mean there are places that will actually change your oil for you? :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Last oil change I did myself was in 1991 when I bought a new Regal. It was a real PITA getting to the filter. I find it much easier to reach into my pocket for $25 than crawl under the car, especially in cold weather. I usually go during the work day when a local shop is not busy so even time and convenience is not a factor for me.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well, the difference is they would lose "deniability" if they agreed to switch the oil. On the other hand, I could have filled the crankcase with canned milk myself! Latte anyone?

Reply to
VicTek

No doubt it is easier. I just like to get out and do something different after sitting at a computer all day. Also, it is a good time to inspect under the car and look at the oil for signs of serious engine distress. I also still split all of my own firewood by hand (8-10 face cords a year). It would be easier to buy it, but I enjoy getting out and doing things like that.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Hello VicTek,

V> Only because cash is a little tight at the moment and I wanted to V> save twenty dollars. I prefer the synthetic and I will probably keep V> using it since the Wal-mart lube & oil package is still the best bang V> for the buck in my area. I don't like being fed misinformation V> though.

Vic,

Here is a suggestion. Save twenty dollars *and* use synthetic oil at the same time.

How? Change the oil yourself, and use Walmart 5W-30 Super Tech Synthetic Oil. I have been using it for over a year in my Tiburon and it is perfectly fine. It typically costs 1/2 as much as Mobil 1 which I used before (never used Castrol Synthetic) and for the driving I do and the conditions here, the Walmart product would be just fine. The important thing to remember is the API rating and the weight of the oil for the environmental conditions. Besides that, use good quality oil and change it often.

Hyundai recommends every 7500 miles for my car under the "normal" schedule, but I change it every 5000 miles.

Doing it yourself using this synthetic means you can get the oil change done for under $20.

Regards, Wayne Moses

Reply to
Wayne Moses

I may do just that Wayne. I just need to take some time to find the oil filter and see how much of a pain it will be to R&R, see if I can get at the oil pan drain plug or if I'm going to need a couple of front wheel ramps, find out where I can take the old oil for safe disposal/recycling...

On second thought it's starting to sound like real work .

Reply to
VicTek

Here in CT, any place that sells oil must also take back an equivalent amount for recycling to what you bought . We can also have it picked up at the curb on trash day, but the idiots that wrote the regulation made a limit of two quarts per week.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hello VicTek,

V> I may do just that Wayne. I just need to take some time to find the V> oil filter

Right front of engine.

V> and see how much of a pain it will be to R&R, see if I can V> get at the oil pan drain plug or if I'm going to need a couple of V> front wheel ramps,

Ramps are no good whatsoever, since the car has to be level. You can jack up the RF wheel, and put a jack stand underneath for safety, enough to get at the oil drain plug (or valve -- see below in this message). then when that is off and the oil is draining, it should be lowered back to level.

V> find out where I can take the old oil for safe V> disposal/recycling...

My local AutoZone is pleased to take the waste oil, even when I bring several oil changes worth (which I let accumulate in the drain pan / container I have).

V> On second thought it's starting to sound like real work .

Not too bad though. I have a Fumoto valve installed on my car so there is no fiddling with the oil pan plug. See this page for more --

Regards, Wayne Moses

Reply to
Wayne Moses

Wheel ramps are nearly essential for most cars. I can change my 4x4 on the ground, but my Sonata and minivan need ramps. I'd have to weigh less than 130 lbs to even thing of getting under either of my cars with them on the ground! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting