Re: Rear hub covered? '02 Santa Fe

"hyundaitech"

Any explanation on their part as to why it wasn't covered?

No. Not really. I needed my car so I paid the bill. :-\

If you ask me it was a defective bracket since it's not a wear item like brake pads. Also, is it common to pay a 'bench fee' to have a tech diagnose a problem? I could see such if they had to pull a cam shaft or open a tranny but brakes? I never paid a fee to have them check my multiple radio/antenna problems in the car.

Do you know if there's any after the fact recourse thru Hyundai USA? Probably not.

Come to think of it... Somewhere exists, in theory, a credit to me for around 300 dollars for service. As part of the class action suit, due to mis-stated horsepower, my 10/100K was upped to 12/120K. Also as part of that I was able to choose from several options of assorted credit. I chose $300 dealer/service credit. That was ages ago. Have I received any sort of confirmation that this credit exists? No. This incident only made me, just now, think of it. Hmm...

The question is do I want to fight or just choke it down... I dunno.

Ruth CM

Reply to
RPM1

There are several legitimate reasons why this might not be covered under warranty, but the dealer should be able to explain the reason. I.e., the dealer should be able to show that there is some evidence that the problem was not a defect, but collision damage, improper workmanship by someone other than the factory, etc.

Calling Hyundai's customer assistance line will create a case file which will in most cases be sent to the dealer which serviced your vehicle. In most cases it will get the service manager at the dealer involved, and in some cases, it will get the factory representative involved. At the very least, it will put some pressure on the dealer to tell you why the repair wasn't covered under warranty. On the other hand, simply calling and speaking to the service manager about the fact that they haven't provided you any explanation could very well produce the same results.

I don't know a great deal about the class action settlement, I wasn't a Hyundai tech at the time. I was under the impression that customers were able to choose between extending their bumper to bumper coverage to 6/72 or taking the credit on service, but not both. I've seen several 6/72 vehicles and have heard of customers having a debit card for Hyundai repairs, but I've never seen the powertrain warranty extended to 12/120. I would think Hyundai customer assistance should be able to help you sort this out. A simple vin check will advise of any warranty abnormalities (such as the 6/72).

Reply to
hyundaitech

Sorry, I forgot to address in my previous post. It's quite common for the customer to be charged for any diagnosis done to the vehicle on conditions not covered by the warranty, especially if they don't do the repairs. In some cases, the diagnosis is part of the repair, so it isn't itemized separately if the repairs are done.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech"

I have, in my hot little hands, an official Hyundai card which has: VIN# ********************* Effective date 4/18/2002 Benefit coverage period: "12 Years/120,000 miles" Expiration date: "4/17/2014 or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first"

Not bad, eh? :-) Don't know if they'll honor it or if I'll even have the car that long. I took the card out of my wallet and put in in a safe because my wallet was starting to rub the letters off of the card. It has a little bit of brown staining from the leather but you can still clearly read it. It's a keeper, altho the car is a 5 speed so I doubt the powertrain will ever be an issue.

I got this card way before they sent the letter with the choice of the 2 or 3 extra options. Maybe that was a mistake and they nixed it after I sent it back. I think I picked service totaling near $300. I think one of the other options was a certain discount at that dealer towards another Hyundai.

Ruth CM

Reply to
RPM1

Nice to know about the 12/120. Thanks.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Interestingly enough, I saw a 12/120 car today. Thanks again.

Reply to
hyundaitech