Recommended spark plugs for a 60,000 mile 1.6L 2002 Accent?

My 2002 Accent (1.6L) recently hit the 60,000 mile mark and I had the recommended maintenance done yesterday. However, The spark plugs didn't get changed because I didn't want to spend an additional $100 on the dealer's platinum spark plugs (+ labor fee) as I can change them myself for far cheaper.

My question is what spark plug (part numbers if possible) do you recommend for this high-mileage car? Should I just go with some platinum spark plugs or just use the copper-core plugs that are recommended in the owner's manual (e.g., Champion RC10YC4 and NGK BKR5ES-11).

If I go platinum what is the real difference between say NGK's BKR5EGP "G-Power Single Platinum" and their more expensive "Laser Platinum" PFR5N-11.

Thanks

Reply to
Moo

The factory plugs in an '02 Accent are regular copper, not platinum, and I'm not sure why the dealer would want to install platinum. Of the plugs listed in the Owner's manual, it's my opinion that the NGK is the better plug.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

My experience with a wide range of cars is that platinum lasts longer and takes less voltage to make a hot spark. It probably makes more of a difference in high performance cars. Assuming that no blower or nitrous which would mandate copper.

Reply to
James

When I installed Platinum plugs in my accent, there was a noticeable improvement over the stock plugs. I would recommend doing it, takes 15 minutes. I think I paid about $40 for the set. I would do it again, better mileage for starters.

Reply to
mykey

$40 ???????????, Bosh Platinum+ are $3.00 each, $12 a set, did they also installed them ???

Reply to
Vic Garcia

Bosch has four platinum plugs listed from $3 to $8 at Advanced Auto. They do not tell what is different, but some are pre-set gaps.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Unless you are into racing, the +2, +4 really does no make a difference.

Reply to
Vic Garcia

They don't make any difference, period. In fact, the extra electrodes inhibit flame spread, which means that they're likely to be more detrimental than beneficial. The only advantage to them is to Bosch's bottom line.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

If you want to stay with copper plugs, NGK's V-Power plugs (under $2 each) actually perform better than platinum plugs, they just don't last as long.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom