which spark plugs?

Planning to change the spark plugs in the '99 Camry. Thought it would be straightforward... the manual gave Denso PK20TR11 and NGK BK-(it's- really-long) as approved replacement plugs.

Called one auto supply store (on the way home from work-really convenient) who told me the spark plug naming convention changed last year, and the NGK plugs compatible with the car are $14 or so each.

Called another auto supply store - they gave me a choice of two possible NGK ones: the expensive one, some $14 or so (it's laser- etched... even the guy didn't know what that signified) and one for about $3 each. Both NGK, platinum.

Called the dealer and they only sell Denso, some $13 each or so. Toyota part 90919-01194.

Would I be making a mistake going for the $3 NGK ones?

Reply to
Michael

I'd suggest looking at the Denso on-line application guide. See:

PK20TR11 is the Denso Part Number for Platinum Plugs. The Iridium Power Plugs for your car are Denso P/N IK20. The P/N for the cheap Denso plug for your application is K20TR11. My guess is that these are the $3 plugs. However, Toyota is recommending Denso Plug P/N PK20TR11 for your car, so that is what I would use.

If you prefer NGK plugs, they have an online guide at:

They list the following plugs for your car:

Standard - P/N BKR6ES-11 Stock No. 5553 V-Power - P/N BKR6EYA Stock No. 7990 G-Power - P/N BKR6EGP Stock No. 7092 Laser Platinum - P/N BKR6EKPB-11 Stock No. 3452 - NGK refers to this as the OE Service Part Iridium IX - P/N BKR6EIX-11 Stock No. 3764

I checked a few on line stores for prices:

Autozone carries NGK IX Iridium as stock number 3764 for $6.99 each Advance Auto carries the following plugs:

*Denso IK20 Spark Plug Stock # 5304 - $8.49 *Denso PK20TR11 Spark Plug Stock # 3253 - $6.99 *NGK Spark Plug Stock # 3452 - $9.89 *NGK Spark Plug Stock # 3764 - $5.99 *NGK Spark Plug Stock # 7092 - $2.59

If I was buying the plugs, I'd go with the Denso P/N PK20TR11 (Stock # 3253) plugs as my first choice. Second choice woiuld be the NGK P/N BKR6EKPB-11 (Stock # 3452 ) as my second choice.

I would not go with the $3 plugs. I also would run away from Autolite, Bosch, Champion, and AC plugs no matter what they claim about being right for your application.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Wow thanks for the research and the sites!

Just wondering, what are the drawbacks going for the $3 plugs? Would I get superior mileage going for the more expensive plugs? Or is there the risk that the metal electrode will fall off?

Reply to
Michael

Yep the NGK BKR6EKPB-11 is the one the manual spec'd, along with the Denso PK20TR11.

I'll see what Autozone has in stock. It's also on the way home from work.

Thanks again,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I just discovered, I have three NGK BKR6EIX-11 iridium spark plugs on my shelf (long story). Would these work? I'd only have to buy one more to fit in the car, if these will work ok.

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s36g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

No. These plugs are not suitable for your engine because they only have a single ground electrode. Your engine has a wasted-spark ignition system that requires dual ground electrodes.

Toyota does not recommend non-platinum plugs for your car, so I would spend the extra cash and get what Toyota specifies, which is: Denso PK20TR11 (also sold as Toyota 90919-01194) or NGK BKR6EKPB11

I'm told that some aftermarket ND plugs come with screw-cap tops, even if they are otherwise identical to OEM Toyota. So check for that if buying ND plugs in the aftermarket. The screw-caps can come loose, and cause problems with arcing and damage. OEM Toyota ND plugs have solid tops.

Reply to
Tegger

Wow thanks for the research and the sites!

Just wondering, what are the drawbacks going for the $3 plugs? Would I get superior mileage going for the more expensive plugs? Or is there the risk that the metal electrode will fall off?

================

I can tell you that based on the recent experience of an acquaintance, you do NOT want the electrode to fall off. It's interesting, sort of like having your shirt catch fire. That sort of interesting.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How often do you change plugs? For you it's been 11 years since new--is it worth going for the cheapies?

Reply to
MLD

I got it used at 67k miles, and put Bosch plugs in then. It's now at

97k miles or so.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Do not worry. My guess is that the laser spark plugs are a marketing gimmick, much like Angus beef and new improved Tide. If your electrode falls off, it's likely due to a manufacturing defect. I've never heard of this happening. Worry instead of an asteroid crashing into the Earth and ending all human life.

Reply to
dsi1

I think the ones for $13-14 are Iridium, really no need to use these in your car.

Denso Platinum are ~$6 each, these will do just fine.

$3 plugs are standard copper, and usually not recommended by Toyota. You could use an NGK V-power or U-Groove, but you'll be changing them again in

20,000-40,000 miles.

I'm lazy. $6 for 70-100,000 miles is good for me...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Where do you typically find the Denso? I'm thinking of going online at rockauto.com since no one sells them for a reasonable price over here in Sacramento.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I think I used NGKs from AutoZone. NGK, Denso, about the same. Just don't use Champions if you want the car to actually START below 45 degrees...

Your car's easy. I did it on a Supra and had to remove the entire intake! I certainly went with a high-mileage plug!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Those are $10 each over here!

Ok, thanks.

Point well taken!

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Finally found the PK20TR11 Densos at CarQuest here. $7.16 each. Beats waiting for an internet order to arrive via mail.

Thanks all!

Michael Darrett

Reply to
Michael

Congrats, Mike.

I forget about CarQuest (even though I used to work at one) because they closed the one I used to work at and the next closest are ~20 miles away.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I changed the plugs, and the old ones were in good condition, except the first two (on the left, and second from the left) had some oil on the top part of the threads. (The bottom part of the threads, near the sparking end, were clean.)

Bad valve cover gasket?

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I forget what model year and engine you have, but if it is the type where the spark plugs are at the bottom of a well in the valve cover, the o-ring at the bottom of the well could be leaking.

Reply to
Ray O