27k miles on spark plugs abt right?

My 2000 Mazda Protege has abt 27, 000 miles on the spark plugs (copper ones I think).

The car seems to be idling rough. Is 27k on a set of plugs abt right? Time to change them out?

Also....what abt copper vs platinum plugs. Any real serious advantage to platinum plugs worthy of the extra cost?

Sorry abt posting in Toy group but there doesn't seem to exist a Mazda group

Reply to
me

Stop typing "abt" instead of "about". It's stupid.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Look in your owner's manual or service interval book. It should have an entry for spark plugs that tells you when it is time to replace them.

My Ford Contour Duratec V6 has intervals of 60 to 100k mi.

Reply to
Jeff

Why do you hang around a Toyota group?

Reply to
qslim

Interesting question. Why do you ask?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I checked alldata for you (used an '00 ES protege) and it looks like Mazda calls for replacement of the plugs at 30k using NGK BKR5E-11.

Reply to
qslim

AH never answering a question yet again, LOL

Reply to
dbu.,

No prblm. bt ther is a mazda grp, rec.autos.makers.mazda, and thr's also rec.autos.tech. If they r available on ur srvr. The mazda grp is a lil 'lite' (not a lot of answers). But the yota grp is k00l.

Reply to
Hachiroku

u spk his lngje?!? Berlitz?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

kids these days consider e-mail to be last millennium and sms is the coolest thing. apparently they only use e-mail to communicate on facebook or myspace. Doesn't that makes us feel old.

EdV

The maintenance schedule for your car is confusing. If the car has "copper" plugs, then they should be replaced every 30,000 miles. If it is a non-turbo car with platinum plugs, then they should be replaced every 100,000 miles. Which engine do you have?

If it was my car, I'd replace the plugs with the kind originally installed at the factory. I would not switch to platinum plugs unless they were OE. If you have the 1.6L 4 cylinder, I'd install either NGK ZFR5F-11 or Denso KJ20CR-L11 plugs (not Champion, AC, or Autolite).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I've always wondered why some newsgroup server don't carry some groups. One of my servers doesn't carry the Toyota truck group, but they do carry the Toyota Camry group. How is this determined?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

My car is the Mazda Protege ES..which has the 1.8 liter engine...slightly bigger motor than the base models had at the time.

I'm assuming the motor has copper plugs in it. So will stick with that again. But... me being the lazy type and wanting to reduce as much maintenance as possible was considering installing platinum plugs IF they would allow me more mileage and less change-outs

Also..... why do you advise against Champion, Autolite, etc?

Reply to
me

Me too

I can get the Mazda miata group.... but NOT the general Mazda group!

Reply to
me

Bad experiences, especially in Japanese cars. For your Mazda I'd stick with the OE type plugs, and purchase either NGK or Denso. I tend to prefer NGKs, but either will be OK. If you are having trouble finding the right plugs, I'd shop in this order - NGK, Denso, Motorcraft, Autolite, Champion, Bosch, AC - but this is just a personal preference.

Platinum plugs may be just fine in your engine and they should last a long time (at least twice as long as the standard plugs). But if the heat range is off, you might have problems. If you are doing the work yourself, you only are risking the cost of the plugs. The maintenance schedule for your car does mention platinum plugs as a possibility. Are you sure that is not what you have?

You probably should consider changing the wires when you change the plugs. I've actually had more problems with old wires than plugs. Rock Auto will sell you a set of Denso wires for $32.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks will check into this!

Reply to
me

Curious why you put Bosch almost last?

I thought Bosch stuff was better?

Reply to
me

Just a personal preference. I espeically don't like the Bosch +2 and

+4s plugs. The only difference between Bosch +4s and Splitfires is that Bosch is much more careful in their advertising claims. Otherwise, they probably would have been hauled off to court and lost a class action lawsuit as well. I wouldn't hesitate to use OE type Bosch plugs in a vehicle where they were OE, but I'd avoid them for a Mazda. Just my personal bias.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Point taken