Rust is already forming on '05 elantra

Help please. There is a small crevice that separates the driver side bumper and the driver side headlight. Between that crevice is a very noticeable corrosion forming. Looks like it has already form a horizontal line of rust.

Is there warranty coverage for this and if not, please tell me what cleaning material to buy so I can take care of this on my own?

Reply to
suretrade001

This specific area in the front is surrounded by plastic or vinyl, thus I'm surprised rust would form in this area. The area to the rear of the headlight on the side of the car (where the bumper meets the fender), now this is an area that I could see potential rust formation.

You may wish to address this with your dealer. Another thought, in addition to keeping the car waxed, you may wish to spray some WD40 in those specific areas to minimize the moisture in that area.

Reply to
Don

With my 2006 the dealer said I havecorrosion protection *IF* i go in every 6 mo for a $10 car wash. Did you get a similar deal? They also pushed that there was a rustout warranty but that I had to maintain the paint etc. I would talk to the dealer and see wha they said.

Reply to
nothermark

A follow-up . . . here is a copy and paste of the Hyundai 7 Year/Unlimited Miles Anti-Perforation warranty. Please note the last sentence - no warranty for surface rust. For compensation on this warranty, it must rust from the inside of a body panel to the outside.

--------- Covers 7 years unlimited miles starting with 2005 Model Year (previously 5 year/100,00 Miles for 2004 and prior model years).

Covers perforation (rust hole through the body panel from inside to outside) corrosion of original Hyundai body sheet metal due to defects in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Excludes surface corrosion.

--------

I would suggest that timely washing and waxing, and other measures against rust and corrosion be taken, especially at seams. This is a typical place for corrosion to begin. Again, a routine application of WD40 to seams, and other areas where moisture seams to collect, is a good preventive measure.

Reply to
Don

You should try using a Rust Preventive Coating from POR-15. I have had wonderful success with it. One of my buddies turned me onto it.

randy.mantle

This may be a paint warranty issue. If that area of the car was damaged in any sort of collision, expect coverage to be denied.

Reply to
hyundaitech

So, spray WD-40 on the rust? Will that remove it?

Reply to
suretrade001

Reply to
Jody

Although I haven't needed to test it, my 06 Sonata has a 12 month coverage of ANY defect, wear and tear parts included, damage not included.

Give your dealer a chance at treating you well before any other actions.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

No. WD-40 will do a couple of things - it will chase water to a degree, and it will "remove" surface rust to a degree. It does not remove rust though. You can wash a bit of the oxide you see away with it and that gives the illusion of removing the rust, but be assured that laying behind, in pits in the steel, is more rust. Spray it with WD-40 every day, and you won't get rid of the rust with WD-40. The only way to get rid of rust is to remove the affected metal. This can be by sandblasting if it's not too bad, (as in your case) or by grinding out metal in more extreme cases. The bare or repaired area would then have to be finished in approved ways.

You can convert rust with some chemicals available over the counter. Typical Rustoleum paint is not one of these products. There are agents out there though (can't think of a brand name), that will react with the iron oxide and turn the affected area black - the sign that the chemical conversion has taken place. You should finish this area in normal ways also.

Additionally, you can use a product like POR-15 which seals the rust area in an airtight layer. Prevent the air from getting to the area and you prevent oxidation - rust. POR-15 needs to be finished as well.

If you really want your car fixed the right way, take it to the dealer and see what they'll do for you. If you are left holding the bag, then go to a good body shop and let them fix it. They will sandblast the affected are to remove the surface rust completely, will probably hit the bare steel with an etching primer followed by an epoxy primer, base and clear coats. Properly done, this will be a repair that will last the life of the car, and will match the finish of the car without the cob-job appearance of the above mentioned approaches.

Reply to
Mike Marlow