2002 C240 Rust

Hi there,

There were two small (1-2 mm wide) rust spots on the car. One on the driver door and other on the driver side rear fender (above the wheel). I took it to dealer who sent me to the MB body shop. They agreed to fix it although car just went out of warranty.

I gave the car to them last week. Today I called them and they said that rust is bad than they actually thought. They will replace the front fender, trunk, rocker panels and will paint the sides. This will take another 2 weeks.

Although I am not in a position to replace the car immediately, I was wondering if the car was in that bad shape, should I keep it for few years or is it time to get rid of it now? I drive in Toronto area with lots of snow and salt.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Reply to
yassir

Now the dealer is saying the trunk wont be changed as it is fine and the rocker panels will be repaired. Now they need the car for another week. They are driving me nuts.

It seems like there is a premature rust problem in 2001 and 2002 C series. Did anyone get the same problem as I did?

Thanks.

Reply to
yassir

There were some production years where MB had problems with rust - especially cut edges. That's why it often is around the trunk lock, the side marker lights, the inner wheel wells, the upper door frames, the bottom doors etc. pp. Already known from the model before, W202 from 1993 until 2000, as well as e.g middle-class W210; general consensus with 2003 is that the MOPF versions - built from October 2004 - are better regarding rust, but it still has to be seen if and how much (or simply because they are newer).

Reply to
Juergen .

There were some production years where MB had problems with rust - especially cut edges. That's why it often is around the trunk lock, the side marker lights, the inner wheel wells, the upper door frames, the bottom doors etc. pp. Already known from the model before, W202 from 1993 until 2000, as well as e.g middle-class W210; general consensus with W203 is that the MOPF versions - built from October 2004 - are better regarding rust, but it still has to be seen if and how much (or simply because they are newer).

Reply to
Juergen .