Santa Fe Crankshaft seal failure

Hi all,

I just purchased a new 2005 Santa Fe (2.7L, V6) and noticed almost immediately a burning smell. I thought it could be a defective serpentine belt since my wife heard a squealing sound. I called the salesman immediately and we arranged for a time to drop off the car.

I took it to the dealer and they informed me that the problem is a crankshaft seal that was improperly installed at the factory, allowing oil to leak out onto the exhaust. They are replacing the seal today, but it sounds like it is quite an extensive repair. In addition I think they are replacing the timing belt. I have the feeling I am getting rebuilt engine rather than a new one. The car has less than 500 miles on it.

Does anyone have an idea what's involved in replacing the defective seal? I am prepared to make an issue out of this if necessary, but I also understand that they are making a reasonable effort to fix the problem quickly. I'm also assuming that not enough oil was lost via the leak to cause undue engine wear.

Thanks.

Reply to
Newsbrowser

It's pretty simple. They'll probably be able to do it in a half-day.

They need to remove one engine mount, the drive belt and tensioner, the crankshaft pulley, timing belt covers, timing belt and tensioner, crankshaft sprocket, and a few covers. Then they have access to the seal. If they're also replacing the timing belt, they'll need to remove a bracket from the engine.

Don't sweat it. No precision items will be tampered with.

Reply to
hyundaitech