Sonata 2000 V6 2.5L Lambda (oxygen) sensor

My garage has told me that the excess emissions on my Sonata V6 2.5L Year 2000) are to high and the diagnostics are reporting a malfunctioning lambda sensor. They are asking for £250 for the part which *may* fix the emissions problem.

The car is probably worth only a few hundred pounds so can anybody tell me if I can buy a universal, or alternative sensor to replace the apparently defective item?

Reply to
Tom

I don't know how readily these are available in the aftermarket. It has been the case, however, that some generic sensors do not work properly on Hyundais.

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is these dase, but the most recent U.S. dealer retail price I saw for this item was around $65 to $70 for the part.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks, FX rate is about 2:1 so that's way less expensive than I have been quoted. Would you know of an online supplier that could send these from the USA ?

Reply to
Tom

I don't know of any online suppliers, but others here have reported that some dealers sell online. Before you do that, see if you can find the Hyundai part number of the sensor you need. If you can give me the number, I can tell you if it's available in the U.S.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I had a useful conversation with tech guys at Bosch (USA) and Airtex (also USA). They both told me that the sensors are in fact identical and Hyundai's two part numbers just reflect that they have differing cable lengths attached.

I have not identified reliably what technology they are though.

A comparison table at

me that a generic 1190 part - a 1 wire Zirconium sensor iscompatible.

This table at :

more useful, providing the following details HYUNDAI - 39210-37125 (RHS) NTK - 25625 AIRTEX - 5S4212 / SU6204 BOSCH - 13746 WALKER - 250-24517

HYUNDAI - 39210-37165 (LHS) NTK - 25625 AIRTEX - 5S4211 / SU6202 BOSCH - 13748 WALKER - 250-24517

*The Bosch tech suport told me it was a 4 wire Titania *The Airtex tech support said it was 4 wire Zirconia So I am still not sure of the tech but another call to Airtex/Bosch would probably clarify that.

Anyway, my latest problem is that the garage has just told me that they can't extract the bad sensor, it won't come out, their attempts have started to round the profile of the sensor nut. Adding. helpfully, that further attempts will involve removal of the manifold and that would entail draining of the aircon and the bill will be more than the car is worth! When I get the stamina I will ask if they let the manifold reach a high temperature, but they may have dmaged the sensor nut too badly at this stage.

Arghhhh

Reply to
Tom