MOT emission test failure Rover 2000 auto.

My car (1994 Rover 2000 sdi automatic) today failed it's MOT on one item only.. the emission test.

I know when they do emission tests, a probe is placed in the exhaust pipe and then a reading is taken from a computer.

What does the mechanic do to find out what the problem is? And what are (generally) the main reasons for emission test failures?

The garage rang me this evening and the bloke said it could take up to 2 hours to investigate the cause (at £35 an hour) then the cost of putting it right (if I agree to him putting it right) would be added.

Somehow I get the feeling I'm about to receive one of those 'sharp intake of breath' invoices: that is, if I allow them to investigate the cause and put it right.

One person has suggested that when the emission test was done, the mixture may have been a bit 'rich' or the engine just wasn't warm enough when tested?

The car has been running exceptionally well and has given me few (if any) mechanical problems, during the past three years.

Any advice/suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Luke.

Reply to
Luke

Sod that. Just take it for a good, hard, fairly long thrashing (ie. using all the available revs) to blow all the s**te out of the engine before taking it (nicely warmed) for it's test. Usually works a treat on slightly crappy old oil burners.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm not surprised. Sitting in that field unused for 10 years before registration can't have done it any good.

If it *is* an SD1, it's a simple carburettor engine and should be easy for a competent mechanic to diagnose the fault.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

We've already been through all of this in uk.transport.

The car is actually a '94 Rover 820 sdi automatic. 2 litre engine.

Given it's a diesel, I'd suggest what Adrian suggested. Take it for an absolute rag up the nearest bypass.

Redline in every gear, and leave it in 4th, to blow out all the crap, and take it in to the MOT station, toasty warm.

Normally sorts it.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

We need to know the figures to be accurately suggest what to do to fix it- could be excessively rich or lean, or producing too many HC's...

A good fast run would possibly do it some good, as well as submitting it for the test as hot as you can get it (without over heating!)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Eh?

Oh, right. No, it's not. It's a Rover 420SDi, at a guess.

Reply to
SteveH

I thought the Diesel Rover 820 models were powered by the Italian VM 2.5-litre engine?

Reply to
PJML

That's odd, they only smoke test diesels. No hydrocarbon check or rich or lean (CO?)

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Possibly injectors, what sort of mileage has it done?

Regards tox

Reply to
Gate Crasher

Ahh thort it was a petrol Rover!

tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

PJML ( snipped-for-privacy@nerc.ac.uk.loopback) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yup, they were 825s.

I suspect that the OP misread the badge that says "SLi"...

Reply to
Adrian

They tested a diesel of this age for emissions using a probe in the exhaust?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The muppet doesn't even know what car he has as the Rover 2000 SD1 was discontinued in 1987. He could mean a Rover 220/420/820 though.

Reply to
Conor

Think there was a later imitation Rover badged sdi or whatever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I know........lets play a game of guess the punters car.

I think it may be a 216 SLI Auto...........the 825 diesel was not available in auto guise AFAIK.

As a probe was stuck up the pipe, it's likely a petrol.

And on a car that age I'd look at the cat and the Lambda sensor first.

But please confirm the type of car it is Luke.

Reply to
Paul

95,000 + miles since new.

The car is (I'm sure) an 820 Si, 2 Ltr, fuel-injection petrol engine (sorry for not giving enough detail in my first post).

To be perfectly frank, I had no idea what model the car was, an si, sdi, pie-eye or what? I've never cared, nor bothered to find out, because it's never been important to me. The log book doesn't give that info either.

I rang today and asked the garage that are doing the MOT: they said they 'think' it's an 820 Si. Even my old MOT certificates (which I always keep) do not give that info either? The original invoice for the car says it's an

820i ?

I do of course realise that for me to get help and advice here, you need the exact model.

During the past year or so (due to my using a Company car) the Rover has been parked on the drive more than it's been on the road. Lucky if it does

100 mile a week now and that's in Town, driven by the Missus. Can't remember the last time I had it on the open road, M/way etc, must be at least a year.

Lack of use could be the problem and yes (as another poster suggested) a good 'red-line run' might help. I'll remember that advice next year before putting it in for it's MOT (that is of course, if I still have the car).

The garage still hasn't sorted the problem out. If they haven't done so by tomorrow pm, I'll pick it up and take it elsewhere. Problem is (as usual) where? Maybe the local car breakers would be the best place. :-)

Thank you and thanks to the others who responded.

Luke.

Reply to
Luke

Introducing 'Conor-the-conner' the self-acclaimed 'Brain of Britain' White Vanman who regularly pollutes sister newsgroup.. uk.rec.driving with his inane and childish rantings.

Conor is the guy who publicly states that he is more intelligent than most UK drivers and has recently posted all of his academic 'qualifications' to uk.rec.driving.

Conor is the guy who publicly states that he has driven more miles than most UK drivers. Conor is the guy who publicly states that every single driver on the road is an idiot (apart from him).

All that of course, is according to himself, the stupefying, arrogant and unbearably boring.. Conor-the-conner of uk.rec.driving.

Pop over to uk.rec.driving and take a look folks: trawl some of his recent posts and you'll soon see what I mean.

Conor-the-conner never sleeps. He is the guy who spends half his life polluting M/ways and the other half polluting uk.rec.driving with his yap-flapping drivel: not unlike a little terrier dog, incessantly yapping and constantly pissing itself.

Luke Ps: to Conor.. butt out you boring pratt!

Reply to
Luke

You're not keen on Conor then?

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I wonder how you came to that conclusion? :-)

Luke.

Reply to
Luke

Obviously doesn't know him well enough, odd you'd have thought he'd have encountered Jerry

Reply to
Duncan Wood