Sonata 2001 CAM position sensor plug

My Sonata with 2.4 DHOC engine stalls after about 15 miles from a cold start. I then have to wait 2 - 3 minutes to restart so I can go another mile or two. THe car has 53000 miles and I'm the 2nd owner, so I'm out of warrantee. Just had timing belt replaced in August. Due to the computer code, Pep Boys replace the Cam Position Sensor, however the plug to the sensor was bad so they rigged it for the time being. The problem did not go away - and now Pep Boys tells me I need a new plug but the only way that comes is in a wire harness at $1150.00 before labor charges. Is there any way around this as I can see harness and labor charges exceeding what I originally paid for the car. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Reply to
Klaus Macon

The symptoms you describe are exactly consistent with one of the camshafts being timed a tooth or two off. This will cause stalling in the manner you describe as well as the check engine lamp with the trouble code you report.

If the problem were with the camshaft sensor or the data it reports to the ECM, your car should still not stall. You'd experience the trouble code and check engine lamp you report, but your performance issues should be limited to a tip-in hesitation on acceleration.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Plug should be very easy to replace/repair by someone with a little bit of electrical experience. If you can locate one in a junk yard cuth the plug out & splice it in. If it is a common problem your deler may have a repair kit available

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Sorry to take so long to say thanks, but here's what happened since I started. I got the camshaft sensor plug replaced by Hyundai after finding out they had a kit, also they again replaced the crankshaft sensor (3rd time in 18 months). Next day after driving 60 miles on one trip then another 3 miles, the car strands me again. The Hyundai dealer had to take off the head to find one cracked piston and two badly scored pistons, and suggested I either get another engine or look at another car. My suggestion that they may have put the timing belt in wrong did not go over very well but they gave me an excellent allowance on the car toward another used (but with 2 years warrantee left) car. I probably could have sought legal remedies but I still needed a car in the meantime. I noticed the used car manager did try to jack up the replacement car price by $2000 higher that his advertised internet price, which would have made my allowance quite a bit smaller, but we settled that matter to my satisfaction.

Reply to
Klaus Macon