Update: 02 sensor for 3.0V6

Just completed the job; took about 2 hours and 45 minutes due to a brittle vaccum line breaking on me (had to match it up to whatever hose I had), and waiting for the penetrating fluid to soak in, etc. I bought a 7/8 slotted socket at Pep Boys for $8.99 that seemed to do the job.

After I got the air cleaner off, I soaked the sensor with TriFlow, then waited about 30 minutes. Tried to budge it, and it wouldn't move. Another soaking of TriFlow (love this stuff, but $$$), waited another 15 minutes, or so, and the sensor broke loose. Eventhough the new sensor has some sort of grease on it's threads, I put some additional anti-sieze on the new one and threaded it in.

Put it all back together; Re-connected the battery, and went for a test drive.

WOW! WOW! WOW!

This thing has POWER! I couldn't believe it, but the car runs like it just gained 100 horsepower. I drove it almost 30 minutes and approx 12 miles around town, seems like a new car. My wife agrees that the car does not hesitate and has more get up and go than before.

Maybe those Bosch ads for changing the 02 sensor every 60K miles are true?

Anyhow, no Check Engine lights so far, and the only code showing is 12. We will see.

Thanks for your time in replying!

Happt New Year!

Bill

88 Lancer Shelby 91 LeBaron Convertible 01 Chevy Impala LS
Reply to
Billccm

Strange that you use Tri-Flow as a penetrant. It's an excellent lubricant, but there are much better and MUCH less expensive penetrants. Chrysler sells one of the best. It is a non-oil compound known as "Manifold heat control valve solvent". I do not know what's in it, but it is a thousand and one miracles in a spray can.

You need to be careful there not to use too much. More is not necessarily better. It's OK to have antiseize on the threads, but if any gets on the pierced "thimble" at the operating end of the sensor, the sensor will have a short life.

Yes, quite. You'll also find much better fuel economy if you can keep your foot out of it. But, I hope you didn't install a Bosch O2 sensor or you'll very likely be back in there doing it again before long. They fail early and often in Chrysler applications.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

TriFlow used to be advertised as a penetrant only years ago. I was sold on the stuff when I was changing exhaust manifolds on my ol'440.

Understood. I coated the the threads with a toothpick, so you know I used very little. I wiped the thimble area clean to make usre nothing was on it.

Yes, I have heard to only use a MOPAR sensor. Purchased mine form the dealer for $78.68 including tax.

Happy New Year! Bill