MAS Air Flow Sensor

A week ago I put up a post about my "check engine light" coming on in my

2000 Golf. Turned out to be the MAS air flow sensor. Is this a reasonable problem? About what should it have cost to replace? Does VW have a list that the dealer go by for repairs?

I feel so helpless about these things. I don't know what a MAS sensor it, let alone if it actually need to be replaced, was replaced, or charged fairly.

Reply to
JS

I just replaced the MAF Sensor on my 1999 Golf IV about a month ago. It was replaced once before by the original owner (I bought the car in August of 2002), and now once by me. I had to pay for it out of pocket since the car is out of warranty and the previous repair was done over a year ago. However from what I have read the part is known to be faulty - so the 1st replacement may have been faulty, hopefully the new one I just got is not.

In total, it cost me $170 USD (before tax) for the part and labor. I think all dealers can do this repair.

Basically, it controls the mixture of gas and air being sent into the engine. When it starts to go the engine is usually getting too much gas - aka running richly. It is something that needs to be fixed, but not a super urgent thing.

I heard that it is easy enough to change yourself (just a plug you remove and then pop the new one in(?)) - the part itself is between

60-80$. But I don't really know much about cars either, and due to not having a Bentley manual handy, I just let the dealer do it. Or for all I know they just disconnected the sensor and screwed me over. Bastards. :o)
Reply to
Pete Foley

It is the 1.8T, so I guess the price wasn't so bad after all, thanks.

Reply to
JS

MAF sensor failure is pretty common in VWs, though many people never have the problem. You may be covered under emission components warranty, depending on the state you live in.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Any idea about NY and a 2000 Golf?

Reply to
JS

Thanks, it does. Two years; oh well.

Reply to
JS

I'd read that section again. Emissions equipment usually has a 60 to 80 thousand mile warranty by federal law. Most people dont know this, and I'm sure the de(ste)alers arent going to go around broadcasting it since these parts are not cheap. IF it IS covered under an emissions law (I honestly dont see why it would be, but it could be), then give ti a shot at getting a new one. the worst they could say is no.

--Andy P

Reply to
Andy Pronobis

I think the emissions equipment is also covered for about seven years, so it's worth looking into it further.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

I think that's only in California! A lot of items that one would think is an emission warranty isn't anymore. But if the car is under 3 years old and

36,000 miles VW may pickup the repair or maybe just the parts.

Reply to
Woodchuck

But many states, like Mass. where I live, follow California's lead and enforce the same regs. Call you state envt'l agency.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Since you 1.8T is probably AWD engine (150hp) You should be able to use 2.0 MAF which is a lot cheaper (~$40).

2.0 has a different plastic housing, but the internals are the same. Just move the internals from the 2.0 housing into yours.

It will cost you $40 and 20 min of work instead of $180 for parts or $350 at a dealer.

VW knows about this and asks for a 2.0 VIN when people are ordering

2.0 MAFs. A VIN from any 2.0 at a parking lot comes handy here...

Good luck.

Reply to
Alex

It may very well work but consider this. All 2.0L engines use all 5 wires on the MAF but most 1.8T's only use 4 wires. Will it work, and work correctly... maybe! But I would not take the gamble of using a part which is not designed for the car. After all that's why they have different part numbers.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I just replaced mine last week. (99.5 2.0 Jetta) Dealer said $180 P&L. $60 for just the part. Needless to say I just bought the part. Took like 20 minutes to install, including the time spent trying to find my bigass Channel-Locks to squeeze that compression ring loose. I had to drive it a few times before the computer was satisfied enough with the readings to extinguish the Check Engine light.

...Sean.

Reply to
Sean

Did you know that the connector that goes to the MAF also should be replaced to prevent reoccurring problems!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Glad it worked.

I own a '94 GTi, and I suspect the MAF going faulty, the car is very slow and it has allways had good maintenance.

I've read a few threads about the MAF for the A4 2.0 beeing cheaper now. The MAF for a A4 2.0 is 80 bucks, for my '94 ABA 2,0 is 280 bucks. Shouldn't they work in either car? Has anyone tried this out? Maybe the housing is different, but it is possible to adapt the new sensor to the old housing.

Bob//

Reply to
ghinghis