Synthetic oil opinions?

Slipperiness may be the wrong term. It certainly does give better protection at high rpm though.

Some years ago I used to fly RC model airplanes with methanol based fueled 2 cycle engines. They'd run at 15,000 to 20,000 rpm. With synthetic lubricants, we'd be able to get an extra 2 to 3 thousand rpm more and it would run that way for a full tank whereas the regular oils would allow the engine to overheat and stop. Based on what we did, I'm convinced that synthetics offer superior performance. Given the quality of dino oils though, I'm not convinced that normal engines under normal driving conditions actually need it. If you like to play in the high rpm ranges, go for it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, no question that synthetics behave much better at high temperatures. Even if they aren't more slippery than dino oil, they maintain their slipperiness much better when the oil temps get above 300 degrees. I think that is pretty well known. I'm just not sure if they have any real advantage in this regard at normal oil temps in the 180 to

220 range.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Well said Ed. My dealer used 20W50 at my 1st oil change. I nearly freaked when I read it on the itemized bill. When I questioned him about it, he said it was "better than the oil Hyundai recommended". Holy schmoly! I drove straight home and changed to 10w30, which is on the recommended list, and I think is better for my hot climate than the water-thin 5W.

I think there's a place for Synthetic. If you intend to drive the car

250K miles, or you live in a brutally cold climate, I think it's worth the extra bucks. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Red Max is the real deal! ;) -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

The 5W applies at the cold end. At the hot end, they are both 30 weight so there is no difference.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Your dealer is an idiot. Find another one or just do your own maintenance.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I concur with HT. As an ex-mechanic, I really saw no difference in engine longevity between the dino/syn oil bases.

Much like HT, I try to get all the life I can from my cars, and I have to say that oil changes at the 3k mark here in hot/dusty AZ contributes to engine life. My 92 Nissan Sentra had 248k miles on it (still kick myself for selling it!) when I sold it off. No leaks, no oil burn, and still plenty of performance from the DOHC 16 valve 4 cyl which was still getting 34 mpg. I did replace the front main seal at 110k though.

I agree in COLD climates that syn oils may help at startup, but both of my vehicles are garaged and really aren't exposed to cold climate.

On another group I belong to (Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager) this topic came up and oh boy!!!!

General consensus was that if dino works for you, rock on. If you like syn, rock on. However, all those telemarketing cats from the 90s (Slick 50, etc.) are still settling lawsuits from all of their bs claims.

Just my .02...

Great group and HT, you rock!!

"HT for prez!"

Steve- AZ

Reply to
Steve R.

In the cold North East (upstate NY), I've stuck with dino oil over the years. My truck is a 94 Silverado with a 350 and it sits outside all year long. Starts right up without a hitch every day, winter or summer. No signs of problems with cold related oil thickening even in the coldest of winter. I keep 5W30 in it all year long. I'm also a guy who keeps his vehicles for over 200K

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You've got that right Brian!

That was the fist oil change.

No 2, they shorted me 4.75 Qt's. of oil. (!!!)

No 3, they shorted me 1.5 Qt's. of oil.

No 4, I went to my local "Oil X-Press", where they've never made a mistake in 20 years. They did a perfect job.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me 3 times, uh, shame on Matt. :)

-

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins