The Power Train Goes Down Apparently From Lack of Coolant...

Here is the deal as much as I currently am aware of

A 2003 Elantra with automatic is apparently now dead

A lack of coolant, claims Hyundai, killed the power train, and so the terrific power train warranty doesn't apply in such a case

The car is out of the extended warranty that we had purchased with it

Suggestions are welcome

The car had been tranferred to my married daughter a coupla years ago

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Suggestions for what? You list a few chopped sentences with nothing to relate them, and then ask for suggestions. Ok - here's my suggestion: Don't let your car run out of coolant, because yes, it most certainly will damage the engine, which is the primary component of the powertrain.

And you expected what else?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Overheating will kill a cylinder head on one of these in a hurry.

Any word on why the coolant was low? If the water pump was leaking (or otherwise failed), you should still be able to claim powertrain coverage (as the water pump is a powertrain component). If the original failed component was the thermostat, radiator, or a hose, then you're out of luck.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks, techy, that enlightening info could make a substantive difference.

But now i hear (over an upsetting supper) there is a contract process obstacle

My wife tranferred her vehicle's govt registration to our daughter, tho did not tell Hyundai & also copy them "birth certificate and marriage license"

So, if tranferring car to a son, daughter, parent , then be sure to notify company and include copies of those documents

Apparently non close relatives, friends and others aren't eligible for the power train coverage benefit, by the way

Reply to
Robert Cohen

On 2003 models, Hyundai's policy makes it clear that it's allowable to transfer ownership to what they consider immediate family members and still keep the powertrain warranty intact. I've never heard of needing to submit significant evidence.

There's a form that the dealer is required to submit for each powertrain warranty claim (after 5/60). On it, the owner simply attests that they are the original owner or checks the appropriate relationship to the owner on the form.

This entire discussion could be moot, however. Has the dealer determined why the coolant was low?

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

You have my sympathy. Young women can be very tough on cars. I've seen a couple murdered before their time. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Wasn't every 1988 Hyundai a lemon?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

this '88 was so badddd that it didn't have pick-up. you'd step on the gas pedal and it was sluggishhhhh

couldn't get out of its own way

it was so baddd that the outside door handles were replaced

a lot of damne is over the water-cooolant

Reply to
Robert Cohen

"this '88 was so badddd that it didn't have pick-up. you'd step on the gas pedal and it was sluggishhhhh

couldn't get out of its own way

it was so baddd that the outside door handles were replaced"

So far, as Edwin says, I think you've described every 1988 Hyundai.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

My suggestion is to teach your daughter (and her husband) how to perform basic checks on their cars. Checking fluid levels is very basic and every drive ought to know how to do this and do so regularly. If you don't ... well, you know what happens.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I do know they had it srerviced w/ln the past 2 or 3 months, because the surveyor of customeer satisfaction had called my home since that's the number in her computer

Reply to
Robert Cohen