PING- HT 03 V6 Sonata- stalling, lack of power

HT and others;

My wife's 03 with 107k miles on it has recently begun to act up; no power, unable to accelerate, occasionally dying, etc. Took it to my local shop- no troubles found (fule pressure dead on) except downstream O2 sensors needed replaced. 3 days later, same problem, lack of power, no acceleration, etc. Took it to our Hyundai dealer- codes found- misfires on cyls. 3 & 5 and decided that a fuel injection system flush would help. Today, it happened again. I'm into this now $500 and it appears to me to be a fuel issue, or lack thereof. We're second owners, little old man before us had maintenance done religiously. I am on the road until the last week of July. Am I heading down the right road? Is the pump accessible from the rear seat? I'm also thinking about plugs and wires. Possible the fuel pump sock is getting clogged from cheap unfiltered fuel?

TIA,

Steve

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Reply to
Steve in AZ

Sounds like a problem I had. Could be a throttle position sensor. The engine does not quit, but will run very slow, enough power to get you off the road, or even get home. Sometimes shutting it down and restarting will get you going for a while. Eventually, it will only go slow.

The dealer should have known better. IMO, you got screwed on the injection flush. If an injector is partly clogged, is it going to be fine for a few days and then block fuel again? Then be OK for a few more days: Doubt it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks Ed...will keep all posted and invite additional input...

Steve

Sounds like a problem I had. Could be a throttle position sensor. The engine does not quit, but will run very slow, enough power to get you off the road, or even get home. Sometimes shutting it down and restarting will get you going for a while. Eventually, it will only go slow.

The dealer should have known better. IMO, you got screwed on the injection flush. If an injector is partly clogged, is it going to be fine for a few days and then block fuel again? Then be OK for a few more days: Doubt it.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Reply to
Steve in AZ

But I do plan on a tune-up when I get home... too Ed.

Steve

[...]

Sounds like it could be a clogged cat also.

Reply to
Partner

Ever get a resolution?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had the same problem with my 2004 Sonata. Ignition wires solved it. It also could be a bad coil, according to the dealer.

Funny thing is when my car was mis-firing and stalling out? The check engine light NEVER went on. I know the light works because it comes on when the car is off and I turn the key on. Same as the seat belt lights.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Matthews

Ed et al;

Well, did new plugs and wires today. 1st week I've been home in 2 months! Anyway, original plugs measured- .060-.070!!!!

The wife's gonna run her to Laughlin tomorrow and take that killer 6% grade out of the Colorado River Valley and we'll see. Just took it for a shakedown, hard acceleration, full A/C, high speed, etc. No problems!

The dealer and my local guy told me that cyl 3 & 5 misfire codes were appearing. With the tension on the original wires and the near 90 degree bend, I think we got her!!!

Steve

Ever get a resolution?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Reply to
Steve in AZ

Good luck. If they were original wires, it was about time for them to start acting up.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

UPDATE-

Well, after a battery replacement, the wifey took her to Laughlin and half-way down the hill, turned back up in 113 degree heat, 65MPH with A/C on full blast....

SUCCESS!!!

Thanks all!!!!

Good luck. If they were original wires, it was about time for them to start acting up.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Reply to
Steve in AZ

Well, I though it was fixed...

I ended up ordering a coil assy. I drove it yesterday and the day before and the loss of power gremlins appeared again. Should be here tomorrow and I HOPEFULLY will be done with this...