Tiburon Brakes

Greetings, I am very concerned about my new tiburon and was wondering if any one else has had anything similar. I have been in 2 fender benders with my v6 tiburon and have never before even come close to hitting anyone in my other cars. Both times the antilocks were firing away and even though I was on warm asphalt the car did not slow dramatically. I am going to have mine permanently disengaged, I believe them dangerous.

Reply to
crazywhack

It sounds like they are malfunctioning. Have you had them checked at the dealer? Anti-lock brakes certainly aren't inherently dangerous, especially on pavement.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Anti-lock does not mean they cure all problems. They may have, in fact, lessened your troubles. I'd have the brakes check out by a competent mechanic. There may be other problems such as faulty master cylinder, wrong pads, etc. Maybe you should slow down a bit?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's even possible this is an issue with anti-lock education. When I purchased my first car with anti-lock, I tended to hold the pressure steady where I had it when the anti-lock kicked in. But since we're talking about four channel (separate control of each wheel) ABS, that's exactly the *wrong* thing to do unless you're satisfied with the vehicle's stopping rate. Even though you can feel the ABS engaging through the brake pedal, if it's not yet engaging all four wheels, you can continue to press harder and get more braking action.

I'd suspect one of the wheels was on dust or leaves. But it's still a good idea to get the system checked. If there's a problem, you'll want it fixed.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Yes, in general in an emergency you want to mash the brake pedal hard and hold it down.

I generally like ABS other than in snow. In snow, sand and other soft ground, optimum stopping distance is actually achieved with the wheels locked rather than at incipient lock-up as on pavement and other hard surfaces.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I have to disagree here. One of the reasons I like ABS is that on snow, you don't become a 3000 pound mass of metal on a set of four skis with no resistance. Not to mention that you even have some steering control.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You can disagree all you want, but this is a well-known exception to the "don't skid the wheels" recommendation. It is fairly simple physics. When you can plow through material, it effectively widens the area of influence of the tire and causes more resistance than does a rolling tire.

I drove non-ABS cars, trucks and tractor-trailers for 20 years in PA winters. I'm well familiar with driving in virtually all conditions that this area presents. I nearly put my first ABS vehicle into a ditch braking for a turn in deep snow (6" or so) as it simply felt as though there was no braking action at all (which with the ABS working was basically the case). I could have easily made the turn in my non-ABS equipped vehicles by sliding the tires for 30 feet or so prior to turing the wheels (I was traveling maybe 20 MPH at the time).

Get a friend with a non-ABS vehicle and find an empty parking lot next time it snows and try this for yourself. The ABS vehicle will lose the braking contest every time if you both mash the brakes.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I've yet to be in a situation that ABS was a hindrance. Of course, I've only had it for the past 9 year and I've only been driving for 45 years so there are probably situations I've not seen yet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

**Well, I've only been driving for 22 years but have been driving cars with ABS for 12 and I have to concur with Matt. For the most part, ABS is quite handy as long as you remember to keep steering and let the car do the braking. However, on snow, especially thick snow, it felt like my car just turned into a rocket. With one particular car, it felt like there wasn't one iota of braking in those conditions. In subsequent cars, the ABS has been better in snow but I take it far more carefully (as everyone should anyway) with those past experiences in mind.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

some kids just don't learn