Unable to turn 'off' air conditioner?

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Hyundai Sonata. I bought it used, so not original owner. But I'm now noticing (maybe it's always done it but just never noticed) is you cannot turn 'off' the air conditioner. So what I mean by this is there's the 0-4 knob, and then there's 2 rows of buttons - the top is A/C, Max AC, recurc, etc. The bottom row is face, feet and face, feet, etc. If I tun off the A/C (knob to 0), the bottom selection remains on, and there's air coming out of the selected vents

- cold or hot depending on the cold / hot setting.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Reply to
Evan Platt

I'm not sure which button you're saying remains on; you'll need to tell me which one it is. But:

Typically, either the fresh air or the recirc indicator will stay on to ind icate the position of the fresh/recirc door at any given time. If fresh ai r is indicated, the air will come out of the vents when the car is moving d ue to the pressure of the outside air against the base of the windshield wh ere the air inlet is located. To stop this, switch to recirc, and that wil l block outside air.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Any of the bottom buttons - ie the face button or face / feet button.

Hmm.. I'll try that. But air comes out even when sitting still :)

Reply to
Evan Platt

Well, that's odd unless it's *very* windy. Maybe the fan is still running.

The blower switch provides ground to both the fan and the relay for the pow er side of the fan. So the only thing I can see that would be a single pro blem that would make the fan continue running would be a shorted blower swi tch. Maybe try wiggling the blower knob side to side, up and down, in and out, etc. to see if there's a change.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Try pushing on the button marked "AC."

Reply to
dsi1

The A/C button switches off when I switch the knob to 0, and it becomes inactive (I can't turn it on or off).

Reply to
Evan Platt

Ok - I take that back - air isn't coming out (at least noticable air) when I'm not moving... but I find it odd it's either cool or hot air regardless of outside temperature, and it's dependant on whether the control is on cool or hot?

Reply to
Evan Platt

On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 05:29:19 -0700, Evan Platt wrote in

You mean the fan speed "knob"? If so, you are shutting the fan and that *should* shut the A/C off.

Reply to
CRNG

Is the compressor running when the a/c switches are off?. Maybe the clutch is stuck. It's pretty easy to tell.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Have you read your owner's manual so you know how the system is supposed to work? I am guessing not by your comment above.

Reply to
Voyager

Used car. Didn't come with an owners manual.

I googled and found one online. I'll read through the section on air conditioning.

Reply to
Evan Platt

Sounds normal then. The temperature control knob adjusts the position of d oors within the heater box to regulate the amount of air passing over the h eater core. Hence, adjusting this knob will adjust the vent temp even if o nly the smallest amount of air is flowing.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It is always annoying when people don't keep the owners manual and provide it when they sell a car. I am glad you found one. Knowing how the system is supposed to work is the first step to knowing whether it is working correctly or malfunctioning.

Good luck!

Reply to
Voyager