Warm AC Sonata 2006 with 15K

I just bought a used Sonata 2006 with less than 15K. The car is in perfect shape.

The AC is not cold enough. I took the car to the dealer (under warranty) and they told me "that cound not find anything wrong". Of course the guy gave me the speech that I have to keep it in recirculating mode, and bla-bla-bla, and it was. Like I never had a car before with AC.

Of course the technician could NOT find anything and everything was fine. Or course the car was not under the sun (South Florida sun).

I had the car to less than two weeks, and I will return it or get rid of it, if they can't figure this out.

I read some post about issues like this.......

Could it be that the compressor cycles too much? Is there anyway to make the compressor to stay on longer?

Please help....I like the car, but I can't drive like this.

Thanks

Reply to
waitwait9906

The compressor will only cycle if the desired temperature is reached. Sounds like you never get there. What are the readings from the AC test? If the technician truly check the AC, he would have put gauges on the system. He should have written down the readings. If he did not, he did not do a proper evaluation.

Inability to cool the car comes down to a couple of factors. The AC is not sized big enough to handle the load, it is low on refrigerant, there is a leak of warm air coming into the duct, condenser is not getting air.

I bought mine in September so I don't know what the true ability of the AC is yet. We had one sunny day at 89 degrees and it was just fine. You should only need it on recurc in extreme situations.

There are specifications for AC performance. Ask the dealer what they are and how your car compared when tested. You can also check the air temperature of the vent yourself and compare the temperature drop.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My 2006 also has a weak AC, at least compared to other cars I have, but the air outlet temperature meets the specs. It just doesn't seem sufficient for the car a warm, sunny day. Mine works OK until the temp gets above 90 or so, and then it can't keep up.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Mine works great, if anything, too efficient. My LX has the auto climate control system and it works.

I'd suggest finding another dealer to investigate. Under warranty, one would think they'd be inclined to find it.

They're getting paid from the factory just like a poor schmoe like us.

Steve

Reply to
Steve R.

You haven't been reading the Hyundai service manuals much, have you Edwin. There are actually very few performance specifications anywhere in the manual. And there are many other issues with them that aren't pertinent to this thread.

I say stuff a thermometer in the center vent and then you'll know how it's performing. If I recall correctly, the compressor is variable, meaning the PCM can reduce drag by varying the compressor as the evaporator, interior, and exterior temperatures enable it to do so.

Reply to
hyundaitech

No, I did not look up the specs and I cannot imagine they don't have any. I did, however, suggest the thermometer anyway. A 20 degree drop is about right IIRC. In any case, the dealer had to form his opinion on some basis and they should be able to give that to the customer. Anyone that just says "it feels cool enough" is incompetent.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
100% agree that "feels cool enough" is nowhere close to good enough. The customer indeed deserves a reasonable explanation as to how the technician determined the system was functioning normally.

I hope I didn't seem too abrasive there. Mostly, I'm irritated by the lack of information and clarity in the service manuals. Your posts are always constructive, Edwin.

Reply to
hyundaitech

After your comment I did go to HMAservice and found no numbers. I was surprised at that. OTOH, a good AC tech will know good from bad from readings. I had a bad AC experience in my Buick. After three trips to the dealer, they insisted nothing was wrong and no problem could be found even though I did not even drive a mile since it was serviced and it quit working. . After a long discussion with the service manager and dealership owner I asked about the evaporator coil. The service manager said "they never go bad". You can guess the rest of the story.

Not to worry, no abrasion taken. I've played on USENET long enough that my skin is both thick and tough. Your posts are appreciated

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"After a long discussion with the service manager and dealership owner I asked about the evaporator coil. The service manager said 'they never go bad'. You can guess the rest of the story."

Of couse I can guess it. I've replaced many GM evaporators.

Reply to
hyundaitech

OK, I think I found the issue here. I brooke my rule of not changing more than one thing at a time, and I'm not 100% what fixed my warm AC.

I cleaned (did not replace) the AC filter above the glove compartment. It was full of leaves and some dirt. I'm gonna replace it later on.

Also, because I thought it was a false temperature reading (AC was clycing and not building enough cold air), I pulled the evaporator temperature sensor (located on the passenger side...need to remove globe compartment) and I bent the tip, thinking that will be farther away from the evaporator and not getting a false temperature reading (too cold).

Guess what, my AC as as cold as a "peguin's butt"......and it works great. I drove the car 600 miles under the South Florida sun ( 85F) and it is great.

If you need more info, let me know and I will try to help. I bought a great manual for this.

Thanks

Reply to
waitwait9906

Mamamia asked me which manual did I get on one of those boardsez and I dont have access to reply to him.

I hope he can get this

or look in tradebit for Hyundai Sonata....they are around $20 (digital copy).

Take care

Reply to
waitwait9906