Sonata Fuel Tank Air Filter

I've got a 2006 Sonata LX approaching 30,000 miles. Both the Hyundai web site and owners manual say to change the "Fuel Tank Air Filter". I've never heard of this type of part. I've tried to google it and nothing comes up. Anybody have any ideas of what it is and does it really have to be changed?

Reply to
Marc

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the canister air filter. If it gets clogged, your tank won't be able to properly vent fuel vapors through the charcoal canister. When this occurs, you may have difficulty filling the tank, or the check engine lamp may come on, or both. I've only seen about three cars that had canister filter failures. I think the common theme was driving in dirty and dusty areas.

Reply to
hyundaitech

and where is the cannister and where can I get new filter?

Reply to
deck1

The location of the canister varies by model. On many, it's at the left rear corner of the vehicle. I'd suspect the canister filter will be a dealer only item.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
PMDR

The thread started about filter on 06 sonata V6, this is what the question alludes to! Is it on the left rear corner of that car?

Reply to
Deck

Yes, near the filler. If you go to

they show a diagram