'91 Rodeo auto transmission died JUST out of warranty

Just curious if anyone else has experienced a major automatic transmission failure in a '91 (or similar transmission) Rodeo. With less than 38,000 miles and only a few months out of warranty, and even after having had the transmission oil and filter changed earlier this year, the transmission ate itself up (mechanic said it was the torque converter). We felt it going 100+ miles from home, and were happy to have made it home. The pan was full of metal when it was opened.

Anyone know if there is a pattern on these? My mechanic said it's actually a pretty good transmission and should be a 100,000 mile unit or better if well maintained. He chalked it up to a very unfortunate (and very expensive) fluke. Comments?

C.R.

Reply to
keyes04