1990 Geo Prizm transmission ? or not ?

Hi,

I don't know cars, have a 1990 geo prizm, 130,000 miles on it. Driving it on highway, jolted... 2 seconds later, jolted again, I gave it gas, front wheels locked up, went skidding. Would not reverse, go forward, but didn't rev like it was in neutral.. Tow truck was luckily behind me 5 cars back, it 'skidded' up the ramp, front wheels were locked. It DROVE off the ramp though 5 minutes later... It went in reverse AND forward at the 'tire' shop. tire shop mechanics said - it's definitely the transmission, this is 50 miles away from home, car is there now. Would it drive again if it was the transmission ? They said "you don't know what's wrong with it, it could be a chipepd gear, a part from transmission could fly off through the dashboard and kill ya, you don't want to drive this home..."... $900 estiamted for a junk yard tranny they say, BUT, this car was taken up some serious mountains at TOP speed just prior, could it just have overheated the transmission ? Should I drive it home ? tow it home ? Again, it jolted, like I had pumped the breaks - couple seconds later, it did it again, then, whammo, total locked up skidded on highway... Skidded up tow truck ramp, BUT, ddrove right off, they drove it around the lot.

I don't know transmisison, cars at that... No clue if they are on the up and up, I THINK they are, they seemed relaible... young, but - they were 100% sure it was the transmission they said... Anyone know ? I JUST had a mechanic do $1500 of brakes / callipers on this car - as the mechanic had said - if I didn't have the work done, it would LOCK up on me one day, funny.... Mechanic turned out to be a needle junkie, and I do wonder...

Anyone know if ti's transmission symptomatically ?

Thanks in advance.. I can't afford any of this.

Reply to
Geo_Driver