Subaru Outback 2000 auto transmission died at 60K Miles

In September, 2005, the auto transmission would not engage in drive for 10 to 20 seconds, and then with a kick. Subaru dealer said there were
59,000 miles on vehicle, but warranty expired a month before. Too bad for me. I took it to an independent transmission shop that changed the X-mission fluid. The X-mission lasted another 8 months before it would take 20-30 seconds to engage in drive. I paid $2200 to have the unit rebuilt. Mechanic said a number of parts were damaged.
Anyone have a similar situation with a 2000 Subaru Outback? Vehicle has been serviced by the Subaru Dealer. The vehicle also was recalled twice for other problems.
Sounds like you had a leak.
Check levels in the transmission at the first sign of wierdness from it.
Also, check every other oil change.
They are hard to fill correctly, even dealers will get it wrong (it reads "full" when it isnt).