96 Isuzu Trooper "Check Trans" and "Check Engine" Light (Help)

Can someone shed some advice on what may be the possibilities and fix for this? Initially, the check engine light came on and off for a period of 5 months. It started this past Summer. I pulled the battery to reset it, in which the light did disappear for a while. Then it came back on, and went off again, this cycle of on and off continued.

Recently, just yesterday, the "check trans" begin flashing. My Isuzu Trooper has 92,000 miles. The automatic transmission runs smooth, shifts nicely during acceleration and deceleration. I recently made an appointment to drop the truck off at the shop. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Reply to
Kiy Oting

Find a good shop and get your codes checked!

Thank goodness for computer diagnostics...no telling how many guesses you'd take at fixing your rig if it was carbed!

Reply to
Alfred B

Well, I finally did it. I took the truck to the shop. Just as I thought. It was only a sensor that malfunctioned. The O2 Sensor to be exact. Total cost to replace the sensor: $351, labor and part.

I feel like I just bent over for the Isuzu Dealership. The diagnostic alone cost $88. Total time of fix was 2 hours. I waited at the shop to peek at the work, all they did to run diagnostic was plug it into an electronic reader. It took 5 minutes...$88. That's sick! The part is no bigger than a thin light bulb. It looks like it just needed to be unplugged, and plugged back in. I didn't stay for the whole show. But as soon as I got home from the shuttle van, they called within half an hour to tell me it was fixed.

I wonder if another shop could've done it for alot less.

Reply to
Kiy Oting

RTFM. The O2 sensor costs something like $35 or $50 from Bosch. The O2 light comes on every 80,000 miles; it's a standard service interval.

The reason the diag costs so much is because the machine itself costs $$$, and it takes up shop floor space, so more $$$. And the mechanic to read it has to go to school every year, more $$$. Car repair ain't all about turning wrenches anymore.

If you're at all handy, replacing the O2 sensor is a minor repair. Then again, how much is your tranny worth? And how much is a new car payment?

I just spent $1,500 on an 1989 Tropper repair bill. Lots of money, but

3 months of payments for a new car....

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

"Kiy Oting" wrote in message news:V9e1c.24055$1k.22288@okepread01... | Well, I finally did it. I took the truck to the shop. Just as I thought. It | was only a sensor that malfunctioned. The O2 Sensor to be exact. Total cost | to replace the sensor: $351, labor and part. | | I feel like I just bent over for the Isuzu Dealership. The diagnostic alone | cost $88. Total time of fix was 2 hours. I waited at the shop to peek at the | work, all they did to run diagnostic was plug it into an electronic reader. | It took 5 minutes...$88. That's sick! The part is no bigger than a thin | light bulb. It looks like it just needed to be unplugged, and plugged back | in. I didn't stay for the whole show. But as soon as I got home from the | shuttle van, they called within half an hour to tell me it was fixed. | | I wonder if another shop could've done it for alot less. |

I've had a similar experience with getting my TOD on my trooper repaired. There is a valve, actually a pair of valves connected together on one bracket, the whole thing about half the size of a door knob, that cost $150+ and the labor was another $150+ for a total bill with tax of $326 at the Isuzu dealer. The "diagnostic" took about 3 minutes and the repair about 10 minutes. Of course they "stretched" out the apparent time by taking a half hour just to pull the trooper into one of the bays and then when it was done, keeping it in their parking lot for another half hour. I could have replaced the valve in no more than 20 minutes myself. Of course they still would have wanted "full" price for the valves. I should have done what I did with them when I owned a cadillac that lost its remote base unit in the trunk. I went to their parts department and got the part and told them it was for "Chuck's Service". They had 6 places on their files called "Chuck's Service" so I just picked one. That saved me about 40% on the part and I installed it in 10 minutes, without even knowing what I was doing. I'd watched their technician try to reset the codes in the old one to see if that's all it was, so I knew how to ground the unit and do that 15 second operation.

I suspect that the mechanics aren't the one's who are making out on these repairs. I think the dealers are pocketing half the total cost of the repairs for themselves and paying the mechanics $10-12 and hour.

Since the experience with the trooper, I contacted my old mercedes (foreign car) mechanic to see if he would work on my trooper. He said he does work on troopers. But I think he keeps his prices below, but pretty close to the dealer, so I don't expect to save too much through him.

Chuck

Reply to
Charles