2008 Accent Check Engine Light and Check Fuel Cap Light

Hi - I have a new 2008 accent and after 4300 km's, the check engine light just came on. Having had a 1998 Accent whose light periodically came on due to gas cap issues, my first step was to check the gas cap. It WAS very loose, so of course I tightened it -- and expect the light will probably go off after several drive cycles. There is even a note on the cap which says that a loose cap MAY cause the check engine light to illuminate. (The cap itself is very loose -even after tightening it with several clicks - it doesn't seem to "hold" it's tightness).

My question to Hyundai Tech: What is the difference between the check engine light and the check fuel cap light? Why would one come on and not the other, if the cause is the same?

My first oil change is due in 1700 km's, so I plan to raise the question with the service department, but I would also like your thoughts.

Thanks!

Reply to
Paul