98 Rodeo Gas mileage

I'm the original owner of a 3.2 v6 rodeo... I've always changed my oil on time, gotten tune ups at regular intervals, used either mid-grade or supreme gas, and repaired any problems instantly. About 3 years ago I had to take a job driving long distances and I could usually get anywhere between 315 - 340 miles to the tank (actually when the empty light would come on). But since my truck has crossed the 175,000 mile mark I've been lucky to get 250 miles to the tank and actually seem to be averaging around 215. Is my truck just getting old or is there some potential problem I should be aware of that could be causing this drop?

Reply to
Matt

"Matt" jotted down a note in news:bu13l4$c5c58$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-193149.news.uni-berlin.de:

I ran into this problem and I started using a gas additive to clean the fuel injectors, have not got back to the original mileage but am pretty darn close.

Reply to
DMan

That's about the only thing I really haven't tried. I've always been a bit leery of gas additives/fuel injector cleaners, but I guess it's time to give them a shot.

Reply to
Matt

change your O2 sensor(s)... when they start to go, your mileage starts going down the toilet.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Timing chain & gears?

Reply to
Jim Helfer

no chain or gears... the cams are driven by a belt.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

And I just replaced it a couple of weeks ago... but thanks...

Reply to
Matt

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Matt

Ah. Didn't know that. I have a 92' with a 3.1 and I forget that it's a completely different engine.

Reply to
Jim Helfer

Just out of curiosity... you wouldn't happen to have any idea which I would need (I've never changed an O2 sensor before)? I see the following Standard Motor Products: Upstream Sensor MT, Upstream Sensor AT, Downstream Sensor MT, Downstream Sensor AT. And then I see an AC Delco HTD Oxy OEM Sensor, part #AFS105.

Reply to
Matt

to be honest, at 175k, they all need to be replaced... my wife's 93 rodeo has an O2 replacement interval of 90,000miles as specified by the manual.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

you wouldnt happen to be the cold winter seson nys area running gas w/ ethanol,that will do it every time ,at least on my 95 passport LXW4X4 3.2V6

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

Many shops do not recommend cleaners. While they can help clean the injectors, they also tend to damage the injector seals making them leak over time. If the vehicle is high mileage they may be leaking already. Smelling faint gas fumes especially when the engine is cold is a common sign of leaking injector seals.

Reply to
Miles