gas mileage

Can someone please tell me how to calculate gas mileage
I have a 98 taco reg cab 2x4 and I think it is burning too much gas would to calculate the mpg or kpl
Any help would be appreciated
TIA
Divide the mileage traveled between fill-ups by the amount of fuel used.
Ex 1:
Fill the truck up today and write down the mileage (miles or km's). Now go on driving like you normally do and when the gauge gets around 1/4 tank, go fill up again, write down the mileage and gallons you just pumped into the tank of the truck (I get a receipt and the gallons are printed on it).
Subtract the previous mileage from the most recent mileage and that result is how far you traveled. Take that number and divide it by the amount of fuel you just purchased, and that will give you the miles or kilometers you are averaging per gallon or liter.
Ex 2: Last week I had 1314 miles on my truck. When I filled up today I had 1464 miles and bought 10.53 gallons. So that's 1464 minus 1314 equals 150 miles traveled. Then 150 miles divided by 10.53 gallons equals 14.25 miles per gallon of gas (on average).

Jonnie Santos wrote:

My tacoma has 2 trip odometers A and B. At fill up time trip odo B gets reset to 0. Next time I gas up I fill the tank all the way then look at whats on trip odo B and divide that by number gallons I just put in then I reset trip odo B to 0. Trip odo A is used for actual trips
...my Tundra's got the A/B trips too - great example of putting them to use - thanks!

I keep a cheapie calculator in the glove box too and do the MPG calc right there on the spot, otherwise I'll forget how many gallons I put in by the time I get home.
Jonnie Santos wrote:

I actually use my A for gas mileage, and my B for oil change mileage.
I have measured every tank of gas that went into my 98 tacoma. Saw it go from 20+ when brand new, down to 16 when I first lifted it, and now back up to almost 18 now that I have regeared. I imagine soon, with close to 150k miles on it, it will start to relax a bit and start to creep back down.
-Erik

I use the main one for oil change, if it's a multiple of 5,000 time to change the oil!
ToyTaco wrote:

I just don't like leaving it on the main odometer. It was cool taking pictures at 99,999 and 100,000, but now that it is pushing 150k, it starts to get a little depressing.
:)
-Erik

You'll get excited again when you get in the 199,990 range, trust me!
ToyTaco wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:28:04 -0330, wade clarke wrote:

How cold is it where you are? Toyotas don't seem to feel it as much, but all engines use more gas in the cold. My Corolla hardly makes a difference, my LHS drops 4-5 MPG!
Thanks to all who replied I will try that

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:43:55 -0330, "wade clarke"

An easy way to track your mileage is to keep a small notepad and a pen in your glove box, behind your sun visor, whatever. When you fill up, note the amount of gas it took to fill up, and the number of miles/km's travelled...
Ontario Metal Pages - The Ultimate Authority on Metal in Ontario http://www.ontariometal.net
Advertise here for only $14.95 per month. Ask me how.

Site Timeline