ASCENDER IN US MARKET

Almost every online auto news, auto-talk or chat room I visit indicates Iuszu is near finished in the US Market. All the critics claim the Ascender is either such poor quality or labeled a warmed over GM Trailblazer and that no one should waste their money buying one. After reading all those doom-n-gloom articles I feel like an idiot for buying an Ascender. But now that I've had my 2005 (5) seater for 8mo, I'm perfectly content on being a card carrying member of the idiot club. I have friends that drive 2004/5/6 Pathfinders, Highlanders, 4-runners, Jeeps, Durangos, and Endeavor's, of which they all paid $Ks more than I paid for my Ascender, and I find the ride/comfort in the Ascender just as comfortable as those others.

Reply to
HockNeck

rwcos

A couple of winters ago, I stopped at an Isuzu dealership in Columbus, Ohio and looked at their Ascenders. The window stickers clearly stated that some of them were built in Moraine, Ohio (south of Dayton). I didn't read all the stickers. It was windy and bloody cold that night.

I figure if someone buys an Acender built in the same plant that a Chevy Trailblazer is built, gets all the options and features they want, built by the same people on the same assembly line from the same parts, and pays a lot less $$$...They are not driving a cheap clone, but they might be driving the same car with different logos attached and got a very smart deal.

Axel

Reply to
Axel Grease

All true except for one thing. The Chevy owners have a large choice of dealerships to take it to for warranty work. Isuzu owners have a minuscule selection of dealerships that look more like run down used car lots.

Reply to
miles

That's strange. Your part of the country must really stink when it comes to Izuzu dealers. The one I was at, reading stickers, is a car palace... huge, clean, tidy, and posh. It is in Grove City (SW Columbus, Ohio). I've seen others that were almost as nice,but never a shabby one.

Also, I found when my Suzuki (31% GM owned since the mid-1980s) was under warrantee, the Chevy dealers would honor the agreement after the Chevy-Olds dealer I purchased from went out of business. Since Izuzu has a similar situation with GM, why wouldn't they do likewise?

Axel

Reply to
Axel Grease

Isuzu dealers here used to be very nice first class dealerships. When Isuzu got rid of everything of their own and sold only the rebadged Trailblazers every dealer here withdrew from being an Isuzu dealer. Small 2nd rate dealerships picked up the brand and thats all we have today.

Suzuki and GM may have worked out a service agreement with dealerships. Isuzu has not done the same from what I can tell. Also, it generally was not possible to take an Isuzu Rodeo to a Honda dealer (Passport).

Axel Grease wrote:

Reply to
miles

That is a nasty shame. Sounds like GM is cutting Izuzus throat by cutting back on cooperation to save themselves from sagging sales revenues recently. I cannot be very positive on what I am seeing lately, but in the 80s and early 90s, Troopers were superb 4X4s. Rodeos seemed to be very good too. Maybe this will force Izuzu to go back to basics and leave off the luxury garbage and just make a good simple, affordable hard working vehicle again.

Lately, I like that 4X4 wagon Honda Passport you mentioned, but 17-20 mpg is not what I think it should be for the light weight and small size.

Axel

Reply to
Axel Grease

Actually ISuzu's Troopers were also good in the late 90's, although you're right about them becoming quite expensive.... My '99er is still the best vehicle I've ever owned, but now I'm also worried about service as this would affect its planned longivity (I was hoping it would "outlive" me!). I believe they are planning to bring back the Trooper, I hope they solve the high oil-consumption problem by then..

Ray

Reply to
Ray Laughton

Last I saw somewhere, they gave up the idea of coming up with a Trooper replacement...the US market is already too saturated with SUV's to try to compete... And a darn shame it is. Just think how many they could sell if they could build something like the original Trooper's in a similar price bracket!

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

GM sold back there share in Isuzu and got control of 2 diesel plants one in the US and one in poland. Rebadging of GM to Isuzu has been on the cards for a number of years. It seems every time GM get hold of another manufacturer they bleed it( them) dry then cuts them loose. It was genrally thought that when Smith got out GM would get up and going. Going was the word they are on a downward slope, If they do not give the public what they want they will lose out. Look at what Holden in Australia have done. They build rear wheel drive family sedans and wagons with Corvette engines. The Isuzu pickup they have built in Thailand have the new quad cam V6.

Reply to
abdul