Electric AC Compressor in Dixie

We had one of those close mornings when the humidity is nearly 100% but too warm for fog. Driving my wife's 2010 Prius, I closed the vents
and windows and used the air conditioner to take out the damp but I had to stop at a busy intersection. As I came to a stop, the engine shutoff yet the AC remained cool because the compressor is not engine driven.
Unlike engine driven compressors, there are no seals, electric clutches, or belts. Instead of designing for the wide range of engine speeds, 800-6,000 rpm, the Prius electric compressor is optimized and draws on the same technology as refrigerators and home air conditioners which have become exceptionally efficient. By eliminating parts and seals, the Prius compressor sets a high bar improving reliability and efficiency. So the light changed and everyone moved out yet the Prius engine was not burdened by electric compressor load as the traction battery provided power.
In contrast, today's gassers and diesels have belts, electric clutches, and seals for their mechanically driven compressors. This robs power directly from the engine and limits where the compressor can be located leading to a cluttered engine compartment. In contrast, the Prius regenerative braking stored the power that ran the air conditioner compressor and fan when the car slowed and stopped with the engine off. But the Prius extends the options back into the house.
I saw a nice room air conditioner at Home Depot, 850W for 7,000 BTU, well within the range of my 1kW inverter. I still have to test the unit but it looks to be substantially more efficient than our 5,000 BTU window AC and perfect for Prius power during an outage. So we'll be cooler and save electric bills this summer.
Compared to gassers and diesels, the Prius air conditioning is exceptionally efficient and reliable. Unlike gassers and diesels, Prius integration with the house extends efficiency and saving other household bills. Once again, the Prius is going where gassers and diesels can not follow.
Bob Wilson
In article

No seals? Really?
Is that like "the Prius is superior because it has a catalytic converter, which means it doesn't produce carbon monoxide"?

No shafts, no seals, no electric clutches. See Ebay item: 110674772862
Bob Wilson

My wife's Prius compressor looks like this Ebay item: 140444294007
Toyota has been putting in electric AC compressors for both the NHW20, 2004-09, and ZVW30. They are exceptionally efficient and run even when the engine is off. Again, something the gassers and diesels do not do.
Bob Wilson
In article

Hey, look everyone--techno-ignorant Bob strikes again, then again pointedly ignores the actual questions when he's called out on his ignorance.
Tell us again how the Prius A/C compressor has no seals. We LOVE a good sea story.
The more you talk, the more your complete and utter ignorance shows.

As is is obvious in the photos, no shaft, no pulley, no electric clutch, and no seals. The Prius electric compressor is another superior aspect over what we find in gassers and diesels. Here is another photo taken at the Detroit Auto Show in January, 2009:
http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_2010_450.jpg
The air conditioner compressor is the lower unit and above it is the electric water pump. The engine has no belt sucking power directly from the engine.
The electric water pump is also a completely sealed unit so there is no path for coolant to leak out. Best of all, it uses less power than a traditional engine water pump. Less energy wasted pumping coolant is more that is available to drive the Prius.
Now there are after-market, electric water pumps for gassers and diesels but no one has identified a make and model that comes with an electric water pump.
Bob Wilson
Bob Wilson
In article

So the Prius A/C compressor has no seals? At all.
Riiiiiight.

No Elmo, you are not attractive to anyone. Serious, head over to the Alt. sex sites.
Bob Wilson
In article

???
In article

You keep calling non-Prius cars "gassers". What does that mean, exactly?
You DO realize, don't you, that the Prius uses gasoline as its sole source of energy?
The Prius is a "gasser" every bit as much as any other "gasser" you try to call names on.

And the bicker fest just keeps on keeping on I see....
He meant no double lip or other type mechanical shaft seal, I hope, of course it still has the gaskets and O-rings which are... gasp... seals.

Wait a minute--are you saying that Bob would TWIST THE FACTS and say things that aren't true, to try to make people think the world isn't what the world actually is?
Within one week's time, we hear Bob tell us:
* "the Prius is superior because it has a catalytic converter, which means it doesn't produce carbon monoxide"
* "the Prius is superior because its air conditioning compressor has no seals"
One has to imagine this is how Bob goes through his life, spouting things are simply aren't true--we call that "lying"--in order to convince people that things are different than they actually are. For some reason, that pleases Bob.
It sounds like Bob needs to lie to the world in order to feel good about his automotive purchases. That he needs the world to validate his automotive purchases, is his problem. That he out and out lies, is important for the world to know.

Sorry Elmo, I have no interest in your fantasies. Perhaps you might have more luck at one of the alt.sex sites.
Bob Wilson

Look Elmo, I don't know anyone who cares about your sexual fantasies. Just head over to the alt. groups where you'll receive the attention you deserve.
Bob Wilson
In article

Ah, your answer is that you fantasize about sexual relations with other men.

Whatever it takes to get you to change you profile and keep your postings around. LOL!
You are such an easy bitch.
Bob Wilson
In article

What's that I said, Bob?
"my profile"? WTF are you talking about?
wrote: . . .

No problem, I understand how easily you are confused.
We were posting about the superior Prius air conditioner compressor in the NHW20 and ZVW30 Prius. Unlike traditional gassers, the Prius do not use a power robbing belt feeding an electric clutch and turning a shaft through a seal in the compressor housing. A seal that is subject to mechanical wear and failure. Instead, the Prius compressors are electrically driven which pays great efficiency and reliability benefits.
The absence of a seal around a spinning shaft elminiates a leak path for refrrigerant. A path that is subject to mechanical wear. It also eliminate the electric clutch, another source of air conditioner failures. Best of all, it is not engine driven so the compressor continues to run off of the traction battery instead of running the engine wasting fuel like a gasser or diesel.
See how much easier it is when you ask nicely, Bob Wilson
In article

Are you saying the Prius does not source its power entirely from gasoline? Is that what you mean by "gasser"?
What source of energy does the Prius use, then?

And you said "the Prius A/C compressor doesn't have any seals". That's way, WAY different than the truth.
Makes one wonder about your pretty charts and graphs.

Thanks for asking as there are several sources that show the superior advantages of the Prius electric compressor. The paper SAE-2004-01-0064 discusses the efficiency in table 4, pp. 10:
11.2 km/L - 1.5L Corolla, gasser with traditional belt-clutch compressor 18.6 km/L - 1.5L NHW11, Prius with traditional belt-clutch compressor 22.1 km/L - 1.5L NHW20, Prius with electric compressor, twice the mileage of the Corolla (You can get a copy from the SAE at: www.sae.org.)
Another excellent source is the EPA rule making document:
". . . However, several commenters noted that electric A/C compressors are an enabler to lower leakage rates beyond the minimum levels we specified - and when this technology is used in conjunction with other leakage-reducing technologies, the resulting system leakage can be lower than the minimum levels we proposed (8.3 g/yr for cars and 10.4 g/yr for trucks). We agree with the commenters that it is feasible for A/C systems with electric compressors to achieve lower leak rates than belt-driven compressors. Since compressor leakage can be responsible for more than 50% of the refrigerant leakage from a system, we are lowering the minimum leakage score for cars and trucks with electric compressors by 50%, to 4.1 and 5.2 g/yr respectively. The effect of this change will be that vehicles with electric compressors will be able to qualify for credit, on a grams-per-mile basis, than would have been possible with the limitations of the original minimum leakage score. For vehicles which do use an electric compressor, the 8.3 and 10.4 g/yr minimum leakage scores for cars and trucks are retained." pp 70-71. EPA-420- R-10-009, April 2010,
"Final Rulemaking to Establish Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards"
So as I pointed out before, the Prius electric air conditioner compressor is clearly superior to the traditional, gasser and diesel versions that used pulleys, belts, electric clutches, shafts and a leaky seal. Completely sealed, they don't have this leak path which the EPA has also recognized. Clearly, it also improved Prius performance that again is so much improved over inefficient gassers and diesels.
Thanks for asking!
Bob Wilson

Site Timeline