Funny Electrical

I have a 1986 Isuzu Trooper II whos engine I have just finished completely rebuilding with the financial support of my father and technical support of a workshop manual. After fine tuning the engine and whatnot me and my mother took it out for a drive. It was fun but there is definately something wrong with the electrical. Symptoms include but are not limited to: Will not start with 4x4 engaged All lights got dim and eventually went out while driving parking brake low fuel and fasten seatbuilt light remain illuminated Heater only works in defrost mode and on high only after headlights have been turned on Its some pretty weird stuff if anybody can give me some advice that would begreat or if you have any questions about a 1986 isuzu trooper don't hesitate to ask I might not now but Imight find somebody who will!

Reply to
StormTrooper46

Good be anything really. Looks like you mixed some wiring up after replacing the engine. Check everything you have disconnected first. Wires broken, still disconnected, missing.... Take a special notice at the wiring around the alternator. Some of the symptoms look alternator/rectifier related. If this doesn't help maybe you can try a repairshop in you area specialized in car electrics. Good luck, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

also if this helps anybody it is a california model with all the smog filters and valves and whatnot.

Reply to
StormTrooper46

I would start by testing the alternator and battery. A depleted battery and a faulty alternator will have those weird symptoms you describe.

Your local AutoZone or auto-parts store can usually do the tests for you.

Reply to
reader

The alternator and battery were both replaced when I rebuilt this engine. So it can't be those unless I got bad ones of both which would be an odd coincidence.

Reply to
StormTrooper46

But...is the wireing O.K. Sure looks like a problem there. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

I would concur. Have you checked the output of the alternator to determine if it is charging? Should be over

13 volts at the battery with the engine running.

I wouldn't assume anything works on a vehicle simply because it was recently replaced.

Edd

Reply to
Edd

I concur it being something electrical.

I sounds to me like you're missing an earth connection - that's about the only common item that can result in this behaviour as your car's electrics try to find a low resistance return path ...

Louis