new Isuzu diesel trucks?

Hi All,

On the U.S. website, Isuzu is set to lauch 2 new pickups this summer

- the I280 and I350. The website talks about outstanding fuel economy. Are they going to introduce diesels in these pickups in the U.S. market?

The Isuzu Japanese website shows that these pickups have 4 engines available - 2 gas and 2 diesel (2.5L and 3L). My local dealer can't tell me anything. Any of you folks got the inside scoop???

Reply to
Andrew

Sure, it was posted to this group over a month ago. No diesel is planned. They're just offering us a rebadged Chevy Colorado (yeah, we're all underwhelmed).

Jack

Andrew wrote:

Reply to
JR

Hmmmmm......underwhelmed indeed. We've got quite enough half-assed car makers already. Wonder why they even bothered.....

Reply to
Andrew

While Isuzu won't(or legally, can"t) admit it or get credit for it, this vehicle was designed by Isuzu for GM to sell in the US and Asia. I believe it has already been sold under the Isuzu badge in Asian countries. This is the same situation as the DuraMax diesel engine, which was designed by Isuzu and built jointly with GM in Ohio. Guess who got the credit for one of the best and most popular engines ever built?

The downside of the i-280 and i-350 trucks is they will be built in Louisiana where the Hombre/S-10 was built but I spoke with an Isuzu tech rep the other day and he has not heard of any problems with the vehicle under the GM badge and besides, Isuzu will have a 7/75,000 Powertrain warranty.

Joe D

Reply to
Joe D

If they offered diesels, I would buy one. It's really that simple. If they aren't offering diesels -- regardless of warranty -- I'm not interested.

Reply to
Andrew

You won't get an argument from me on that. I'm interested to see the Isuzu version and am considering buying one as I do contract work for an Isuzu dealer and can surely get a good deal. If there was a diesel option there would be no considering...it's a done deal!

Joe D

Reply to
Joe D

Well, it's a risk, but I can understand why you would buy an Isuzu pickup gasser if you could buy it for a fire-sale price. The old series of U.S. Isuzu pickups were poor in the extreme. Lately, I've seen S10 Chevy trucks carrying the Isuzu brand name. This would lead me to believe that Isuzu is still not real big on quality. I have a recent S10 - best engine I've ever had - but everything else on the truck breaks down. Real junk.

I'm to the point where I am tired of inefficient gas engines. I need a pickup for work and farm. I'm going to have a small, efficient diesel engine (3 or 4 liter turbo) even if it means I have to install one in my old Toyota truck.

I'd much rather have a new one - but U.S.idiot automakers apparently don't see it my way. They've been content to screw the public for some time. Some people are high on the Toy hybrids but I don't think the public realizes the costs involved with those battery packs. Some friends have an '04 Prius and the computer has gone out twice so far - less than 35,000 miles. These repairs are going to really expensive when the warranty is over......

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew decreed:

Surely you're not referring to the original P'up! My '83 would be insulted!

Jack

Reply to
JR

If you want an Isuzu diesel pickup in the US you could always buy the shortest wheelbase version of the Isuzu NPR cabover chassis cab and have a pickup bed fitted to it. I believe it would have to be a custom bed as the shortest box the SWB version of the NPR is rated to take is

10 feet.
Reply to
Zach

Actually, make mine an NQR crew cab. If push comes to shove, the NPR CC HD version will suffice.

Too bad they aren't for Hombre-like prices.

Reply to
alfredB18

I have a 1998 Hombre 2.2L It has 157,700 miles on it. it still gets 20mpg and the only problems I've had with it is the Crank sensor, Cam sensor and the O2 Sensor. Other than that it has been a reliable truck, considering the stuff its been through!

Reply to
Maxima

And that's somehow related to this topic?

Jack

Reply to
JR

U guessed right!!