New Hyundai Truck?

Does anyone have any idea if Hyundai plans on selling a small to mid-size truck in the US? I think they would do a good job filling that market. Smaller size, 4 doors, clean burning diesel fuel, and at least 30 mpg. That is what I want!

Numan

Reply to
Numan

Sounds like something I'd sure look at. I wish they would sell the diesel sedans here in the States, too. There's not much choice in small diesel cars unless want a VW.

Rick SGF, Mo.

Reply to
Rick

They've got plans for a truck, but I'm told it's to be full size.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Jody

See, that is what I drive now. A 2003 VW Jetta TDI, manual. I like the car ok but have decided I want a 4 door truck with a small bed to replace it at some point in the future. I have had a Hyuandi in the past and liked it very much so I wouldn't mind going back.

Reply to
Numan

I am not going to be biased while asking this question. I am seriously wanting to know:

Do you think this is because of projected sales or the fact that more money can be made selling a full size truck. (people's wishes be damned)

Reply to
Numan

Of course. Hyundai is a business, afterall. Besides, what makes you think that just because YOU want something that there's a large enough market for it to justify production? Compared to equivalent gasoline powered cars, diesels are noisy, smelly, overpriced and underpowered. Around here, diesel fuel is often more expensive than gasoline. These are just some of the reasons that diesels are such a small percentage of the market.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Hyundai is currently going after market share, so that would be my guess.

Current speculation is that in another ten years or so, there will only be five major auto manufacturers. Hyundai, looking to be one of them, is concentrating hard on the U.S., because it's an opportunity for significantly boosting world sales. Other markets are more Hyundai saturated or too small to make a large difference.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Of course it is and I do not begrudge them a penny profit. I am not one of those people that blame businesses for making money! Hyundai should be a shining example to other companies how to break into a market with a not so great reputation and turn it all around.

I am going to choose to ignore the snotty slant to your question. I simply asked in my original post IF there was any talk about such a vehicle. Now, if you look around you see the smaller size trucks all over the place so there IS demand for a smaller size pickup. I just wanted to know if there would ever be a more up to date version that gets decent gas mileage.

Yes, diesel cars have a louder engine with a different sound and smell all its own. Diesels are more money but not near as much as the hybrids and they don't have the very expensive to replace battery component. Please don't get me wrong, I love the Prius and the only reason I didn't get one of them instead of my 2003 VW Jetta TDI is becasue it had no sunroof!

Anyway, two years ago diesel was much cheaper than gas and this year it has been more. That is the fault of greed and stupidity all across the board.

I hate to point to Europe as an example for anything, but diesel vehicles work just fine for lots and lots of people. With clean diesel there is no reason it can't work for us in the US just as well.

Reply to
Numan

It just seems so easy in my mind. If you look around on the roads there are tons of the older, small sized pickups. There has to be demand for them. And if there isn't now couldn't it be boosted IF someone would take the concept and morph everything about it but the size. (MPG being one of the most important)

Reply to
Numan

Sorry about that. It wasn't called for.

I don't know about where you live, but I see a lot more big-ass, hulking, overpowered, gas-guzzling Detroit scrap iron than small import pickup trucks. Despite high gas prices, as a society, we can't seem get it through our heads that bigger ISN'T better. Believe me, I really wish this trend would end as I'm tired of dealing with idiots on the road who think they're invincible in their behemoths and with the high gas prices they cause through increased demand.

I wasn't comparing them to hybrids, but to their gasoline powered siblings. Hybrids don't make any economic sense unless you absolutely need a new car...that's "need" as opposed to "want". Even then, you'll never recover the increased cost vs. a similar gasoline powered car. On the plus side, they do produce lower emissions.

No argument here.

Personally, I wouldn't put up with the noise, the horribly offensive (to my nose) stench and the lack of power, even if they were the same price as a gasoline vehicle. I suspect that I'm far from alone in that feeling.

I do wish that some of the smaller European and Asian market vehicles were available here, as they're smaller size and weight provide good performance with smaller, more fuel efficient engines. Unfortunately, they don't meet our safety requirements or in many cases, emissions requirements. Besides, the first time someone got seriously hurt or killed in one of these "micro cars", a flock of sleazebag lawyers would be filing suits alleging that they're "defective by design" or some other nonsense.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

You should start seeing them after 2007 model year when Ultra Low sulfur diesel fuel in available in the U.S., I do not know if Hyundai will offer any but most likely Toyota, Nissan will. I just laugh when I hear people talk out of there urban asses and out of total ignorance spewing antidiesel bullshit. The reason diesel is a small percentage of the market is due to the availability of ULSD. and that is only in cars, in HD pickups diesels are in the majority. VW now has a diesel hybrid that get 80 mpg and will meet or beat the performance of the Toyota and Honda hybrid yuppie mobiles

Reply to
Striker

"" wrote: > Does anyone have any idea if Hyundai plans on selling a small > to > mid-size truck in the US? I think they would do a good job > filling > that market. Smaller size, 4 doors, clean burning diesel fuel, > and > at least 30 mpg. That is what I want! > > Numan

the reason you dont see diesels state side is not all states will sell them (ca, being the biggest). And oil companies are pushing for bigger cars/trucks so the midsize trucks/suvs/cars are a failing market. small cars are getting smaller, and big cars bigger. midsized isnt a good market.

Reply to
xmirage2kx

That is why I wondered if maybe Hyundai would be considering it. Lots of people don't need or want a full sized pickup and a car maker could recognize this and make a bundle.

Reply to
Numan

The problem is that it's not easy, inexpensive or quick to "federalize" a vehicle that's designed for another market with different requirements. In some cases, making a vehicle DOT compliant requires fundamental changes in the structure of the vehicle (due to bumper height/strength and crash test regulations), different engines (due to emissions regulations), different lighting (due to DOT lighting standards),different seatbelts/airbags and many other smaller items, all of which require re-engineering. If it was easy, manufacturers would offer vehicles made for other markets on "special order" if they weren't something that they wanted to keep in inventory here. The truth is that it costs millions of dollars at a minimum and there has to be a large enough market to justify the cost. Selling a few hundred or even a few thousand vehicles isn't enough. For example, did you realize that Toyota loses money on every Prius it sells?

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I think you missed the point. If there's no market, no one is going to "make a bundle". It's probable that the market will come back eventually, but mis-timing its return could cost a manufacturer dearly. It's a risky business.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I'm curious as to what diffence that makes? Diesel fuel is readily available, as are diesel powered cars for people who want them. There simply doesn't seem to be the huge demand the some here believe there is. BTW, if you were referring to me above, I live in New Hampshire. There isn't any place in this state that truly fits the description of "urban". Contrary to your bogus assumption, the nearest place to here that you're likely to see people clamoring for diesel cars is in the Boston area, where the "enviro-sensitive" urban types tend to congregate. In fact, it's the only place I've heard of around here where you can buy "bio-diesel" fuel. Who's talking out of their ass now?

Sure, in BIG vehicles with enormous, fuel guzzling, smoke belching engines where low end torque for hauling heavy loads is the most important concern. While that's a good application for diesel engines, what does it have to do with economy cars?

Gee, do you think you could you be a bit more hostile? I guess it's only acceptable to environmentally concious in the manner that YOU think is appropriate. How open-minded of you.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I agree with you on quite a few points. It just kills me to see one or two people riding in a vehicle made for 12.

I just think that some of the people who don't want a big truck a re buying cars now but would buy a modern, small sized, decent mpg pickup. I may be 100% wrong.

Diesels produce less green house emmisions but more particles in the air. With the introduction of clean diesel these cars will be almost as clean as the hybrids. I just don't understand what is taking so long. I would love to have a diesel hybrid. Great mpg and decent power!

And again ,just like in Europe, they still sell gas powered vehicles for people who don't like diesels. You do realize we would have to import the stricter traffic laws to go along with the tiny cars? I am not apposed to this. I do the speed limit on the Interstate and let people pass me.

You are right about the lawyers.

Reply to
Numan

Well, there is nothing wrong with starting from scratch. I know that other car makers are using computers to speed up the process.

I just think that they are missing the boat, either on purpose or not.

Why would they do that?

Reply to
Numan

I say, "Bring 'em on!"