Odd Engine Behavior/Missing Gas Cap

I was driving the other day and suddenly my '95 Rodeo/Passport began running VERY rough with dark smoke from the exhaust. I thought maybe I got bad gas or maybe a bit of diesel was in the gasoline.

When I got out and looked around, I noticed my gas cap was missing. Somebody had decided they needed one and mine was handy I suppose. I replaced it and it runs fine now.

Just a heads up to y'all about the importance of a gas cap in an EFI vehicle. I always knew they were important but didn't realize they could cause such a fuss.

-Bill

Reply to
DollarBill

I've heard of weird things happening due to gas caps not fitting tightly... A few years back Dad had a rental car while his Trooper was in the shop getting some body work done. They said the car had been acting funny on occasion and advised him to make sure the gas cap was tight if it flipped out. I forget what all it did, but gauges went nuts, etc...very odd! Whatever happened to good ole simple cars... :-)

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

"Wesley" wrote: > I've heard of weird things happening due to gas caps not > fitting tightly... > A few years back Dad had a rental car while his Trooper was in > the shop > getting some body work done. They said the car had been > acting funny on > occasion and advised him to make sure the gas cap was tight if > it flipped > out. I forget what all it did, but gauges went nuts, > etc...very odd! > Whatever happened to good ole simple cars... :-) > > Wesley > > > "DollarBill" wrote in > message > news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com... > > I was driving the other day and suddenly my '95 > Rodeo/Passport began > running > > VERY rough with dark smoke from the exhaust. I thought > maybe I got bad > gas > > or maybe a bit of diesel was in the gasoline. > >

I bought a locking gas cap. This discourages (or slows down) those who shop "midnight auto supply" and holders of "Oklahoma gas card" (fuel siphoners). I keep my original gas cap for a spare in case anything happens to the locking one. (pried off or lose it at the gaspump by forgetting to put it back on).

Reply to
rodeo4mom