PT Cruiser MIL/Check Engine light, Code 0456

So I've been getting an intermittent Check Engine light on my 2002 PT Cruiser for the past few months. Usually it would go away after a few
days; this time, it stayed on for good.
Running the Ignition on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on sequence gave me the error code P0456, which translates into "Evap Leak Monitor Small (0.020) Leak Detected."
I was hoping it would go away, but it didn't. I noticed fuel economy had gotten a bit worse. I checked the gas cap was tight, though it's my understanding that a loose cap would set code 455, for a "Gross leak," not the small leak that was indicated here.
Dammit, now I have to pay a professional to find the problem; I don't have the skill or equipment for this one. They hooked up the computer, got the same code. So they did a smoke test, and found a moderate leak around the gas cap and filler neck area.
It wasn't a loose gas cap, it was a BAD gas cap -- the seal apparently had just worn out or something. New cap, reset the computer, and all is well. They re-did the smoke test, and it was fine.
So if anybody runs into that code, it might be worth trying the $12.00 gas cap *before* the $75 in diagnostics. But overall, I was surprised at how cheap I got out the door at around $90, and got two recalls fixed while I was there. Nice.
--
Garner R. Miller
Manchester, CT =USA=

Considering that you can buy an 8-function calculator for a buck at Wal-Mart or a portable CD player for $10 at the same place, 12 dollars for a plastic gas cap might seem a bit excessive, but what the hell. The auto-parts and aftermarket businesses have never been bargains.
I think congratulations are in order if you got out of the dealer's door for only $90, though. That's pretty rare.
doc

Yes, it is -- I was really surprised, since I was expecting the smoke test to be labor on top of the $74 hook-up-the-computer charge, but they did all the diagnostics, including the follow-up to make sure the leaks were all gone, for that one charge.
Kudos to Scully motors in Windsor, CT -- that's the shop that did it, and though I did have to leave it overnight (they were swamped), they've definitely earned my return business. They even washed it for me, which was a nice touch.
--
Garner R. Miller
Manchester, CT =USA=