Oil leak hidden source

I'm a duffer, and running an ancient vehicle donated to my ministry. I can't afford expensive shop repairs, and I'm trying to do it myself.

1991 Pickup (US) 4-cyl. Dribbling oil leak, which seemed centered on the pax side of the engine, right around the motor mount. While searching for the source, I replaced the valve cover gasket, oil sender, and oil pan gasket. Finally I noted it was dripping from a rubber hose, which I take to be an overflow drain of some sort. It runs up to a fitting mounted to the side of the block under the intake manifold. I can't find anything in my repair manual to idenitify what this is. Can anyone clue me in?

------------ Ed Hurst Plain and Simple Computer Help Ministry

jehurst

I don't think so. I have a hose off the front of the valve cover which connects low down on the carburetor, and another off the back with connects to a valve in the air cleaner.

As an experiment, I plugged this hose. It was okay for about 25 miles, then pressure built up and killed the engine. As soon as I uplugged the hose, it spewed a few drops of oil and engine started right back up. So I put a an ad hoc collection bottle on the end of the hose. Oddly, nothing comes out of it now, and the oil seems to be staying in the crankcase. I may never know.

Now for some wiring fixes...