oil leak 93 Corolla

1993 Corolla LE auto 1.8 liter 7A-FE ~320,000 km

I'm looking for advice on tracing and fixing an oil leak. The rate of oil loss is about 1 liter in 200 km. It only leaks when running. The oil is clean and is not burning. There is no water in the oil, antifreeze is not being consumed, and the car runs very well.

The PCV valve is clear. I replaced the valve cover gasket, and this has not stopped the leak.

Oil is visible on front of the engine at the timing case end. The rest of the engine (toward the trans.) is clean and dry. As far as I can see with a bright light and a small mirror, the back of the engine is dry too.

A little oil is coming out of the front edge of the top plastic timing cover. The front of the engine at the timing end shows wet oil. For example, the block is wet in the area of the oil filter (the block is oily higher up than the filter).

I have washed off the engine compartment: I sprayed mineral spirits, rinsed with water, sprayed laundry detergent, then again sprayed water to rinse thoroughly. The block and head were completely cleaned and dry. On driving the car, the oil appears again -- I just can't be sure of the source.

Would you advise removing the timing covers to look for the source?

I would appreciate any tips on tracking down this leak: Your expert opinion is invited.

Thanks, Jack.

Reply to
Jack

Just from experience, on older Corollas, the oil pan on two of my Corollas have come loose. Tightening the bolts has cured this.

But this generally causes oil to spray all over the place. Look back at the undercarriage of the car. Is it coated with oil, also?

I would tighten the pan and drive it for a bit and see if it stops. If not, then remove the timing belt cover and have a look.Of course, I'm basically lazy and unadventurous. If you're the opposite, tighten the pan and then remove the cover all at once! You may have to remove the cover to tighten the pan anyway...

Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

If the oil is at the top of the timing cover, then I would check the camshaft seals. If the oil is at the bottom of the cover, then I would check the crankshaft seals. You should be able to remove enough bolts on the timing cover to sneak a look underneath.

Reply to
Ray O

Thank you Ray O and Hachiroku for your advice.

I found oil sitting in the depression on the front motor mount. I bought a new camshaft oil seal at the dealership for about $10. The old seal had a

1/4 inch chip on the inner lip, and it felt hard and brittle.

It looks like I've found one source of the leak now. I'll be sure it's fixed when I don't lose a liter of oil on a 2-hour drive.

Thanks again,

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Thanks for the update! Let us know if it worked.

Reply to
Ray O

replying to Jack, Christy wrote: Change your oil pump or oil pan gasket

Reply to
Christy