Please Help!! with pinging and bad performance on 90 Trooper 2.6L

I posted earlier and have not been fortunate enough from any of the resident genius to offer any suggestions other than what I have so far tried to diagnosis. Another poster was attempting to argue the necessity of having the dealer clean and route the emission port. Can anyone tell me where the emission port is located on the 2.6L (gas) on my 1990 Trooper. I spent considerable time already rodding thru the ports after removing the EGR valve using stiff wire. Is this the same as the emission port that others have talked about?

I have had a very bad pinging problem. with a 2.6L 4cyl with approx 97k miles on my 1990 Trooper (Gas). So far I have tried the following based upon "so called" expert advice to no avail: I drained the fuel and filled with premium. I used the fuel antifreeze additive incase any moisture was in the fuel tank. I rodded out the orifice's of the EGR valve down into the engine block with a long fine stiff wire (kept this up for over 1 hour of rodding out). I tried all possible ignition timing adjustments. I changed the routine parts inside the the distributor, i.e.: rotor, new cap, all new spark plug wires and new Bosch plugs were installed as well. I installed a new 02 sensor and nothing abnormal appears in the Diagnostic codes at all. I have not changed or checked yet the anti-detonation sensor that is located someplace on the engine block. If it is at fault, I will need to determine some way of testing or by-passing of this sensor. Are there any other tips, tricks or suggestions that you might could have me try? Thanks in advance. I'm running out of possibilities to attempt. ......... Ernie

I am pleading!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again :)

Reply to
spencer4132

The piezoelectric crystal (anti-detonation sensor) may be your best bet if pinging is your problem, but if you have a lack of power, it will not fix that.

You may have a timing issue, not timing advance, but a timing system issue. Best to get a shop to check that out if you're not comfortable doing it yourself with a good repair guide.

FYI after changing my front axles (1990 trooper) this weekend, I can herby swear that Chilton's & Haynes are NOT good repair manuals. I just plopped down $110 at my local Isuzu dealer for the authentic shop manuals after realizing several missing steps and misprints were in these two books.

Reply to
franklinrh

Thanks very much for the tip. I have been running out of options. I do appreciate taking the time to help me with the problem. I assume that the piezolectric crystal is located on the engine block. I am going to check it out today.

Reply to
spencer4132