ticking

I have a 95 Rodeo and ever since I got it 6yrs ago it hasd had what sounds like a valve sticking problem a ticking noise. Any ideas? Heard something about putting tranny fluid in instead of oil and running that for an hour to unstick the seals.

If you click over to

and peruse the Isuzu forums... search for valve noise or valve clatter... they have discussed this issue to death.

Cause is build up of varnish clogging the lifter oiling ports. Previous owner probably didn't change oil frequently, and possibly even used a high-viscosity petroleum oil (10w40 or 20w50) which makes the problem worse. Never use anything over 10w30 in this engine.

Most common solution seems to be usinig an engine flush (several choices... Gunk, Seafoam, plain 'ol kerosene). Then use 0w30 or 5w30 Mobil1 exclusively to clean out the ports for several changes. Once the noise goes away, change oil religiously never more than 4k between changes (if using petroleum).

I had to do this when my engine turned over 90k... now (at 125k) it only occasionaly ticks, for a short while when it does.

I have also had less ticking with Fram, Pennzoil or STP filters. Pur1 filters caused much worse ticking problems, not sure why.

If flushing a couple times and running Mobil1 doesn't do it you may need to remove the lifters, clean them in solvent, re-prime and reinstall them if you want a quiet motor.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Does the ticking actually cause any harm, or is it just one of those annoying things that can be safely ignored? I've noticed our 94 Trooper (128k) ticking very badly on occasion right after starting. Usually goes away after about half a block after engine speed gets up a bit... I've never really noticed it any other time...

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Can't say... but many people on the 4x4wire forums have reported no harm and their's had been ticking away for quite a while.

I don't think it's uncommon for most any engine with hydraulic lifters to tick for a while soon after startup. That just illustrates the point that oil oil pressure is slow to build throughout the engine.

One thing I've notice, though: the thicker the oil viscosity used the more likely it is to tick for a while and cold oil is thicker than hot oil.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

That would make sense...I've been running 10w30 havoline since we got it at about 115k. Only time it does it is dead cold after not being run for many hours. Seems a bit worse in cold weather. Guess I just won't worry about it. :-)

Thanks,

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Honda recommends 0 weight oil for this engine. It is the consistency of water, IMHO, and is supposedly great for the small (really small) oil ports in the rocker arms.

I had this ticking problem in my '95 Passport. Spent the time, did the work, replaced the rocker shafts and cleaned out the badly clogged HLA's, and now the engine runs great.

The ticking starts when the HLA's no longer allow the rocker arms to perform their job, and allowing the valves to open up all the way.

It can only be deterimental, INMO, over time to allow the ticking to continue. As it gets worse, engine performance gets worse.

I gained at least 50 miles per tank and about 10-15 horsepower out of my engine performing this work.

There is a service bulletin about this ticking problem which Honda has put out and which tells how to fix the problem.

Enjoy.

AIRN

Wesley wrote:

Reply to