Re: 1986 P'up - intermittent oil light

The Ghost of General Lee wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

1986 P'up 1.9L, 175k miles, is showing an intermittent oil light. It > was sitting at idle (engine hot) yesterday in my driveway when the oil > light started flickering. When I revved the engine, the light would > go off. I let off the gas, and it flickers, then comes back on. > Since I had recently changed the oil, I thought I might not have put > enough back in, but adding some more didn't turn the light off. Today > I moved it to level ground to check the oil level, and the oil light > didn't come on at all (engine cool). When I checked the oil level, > it's now a over the full mark. I'll drain it back down tomorrow, but > I'm wondering what might be the problem. I suspect either the sensor > (maybe) or the oil pump (probably). > > Can anyone shed some light? Thanks! > > >

Simple old age With that milage the bearings will have worn as well as the pump so the pump has to work harder to supply more oil but it is no longer as efficient as it used to be.It is the start of the end of the engine but it could easily go anouther 20000 or more miles before finaly expireing. You co uld try oil one grade thicker if it worries you

Reply to
Alan