Passport Oil Pressure question...

VEHICLE SPECS: 1995 Honda Passport, 3.2L V6 engine. 10/30 oil, proper levels.

Took out the Passport for a nice trip yesterday (about 250 miles round trip). First time it's been out on the road like that since I completed my work on it (new rocker shafts, reloaded HLA's, timing belt, new air intake, etc.). This car has always ran rough, but the thing that really gets me about this vehicle is that the oil pressure seems to be really low.

In the mornings, just after starting it up, oil pressure is about 50-55. When the car idles down, it gets to about 30. When driving just the six miles to town and back, it stays between 15-30 depending on speed. It stays at about 30 at 2000 rpm. Sometimes when driving and at a light, it gets as low as 800RPM with almost 0 oil pressure.

Book says oil pressure at 500rpm should be 10. At 2000RPM, 30-55. This car has never gotten to 55 at 2000RPM, but stays at about just under 30 or just above 30.

What's the best way at this point to diagnose whether the oil pump needs replacement or is working fine?

Owners of Rodeos and Passports? Is your oil pressure running as mine is; so is this normal. Just seems to me that it's lower than it should be.

Another thing: With the installation of this new air intake, I have enjoyed better travel. However, it seems as though it takes more effort for the car to get that better travel. Even up little hills which my 4cyl. Saturn handles with no problem, this V6 is struggling, even upshifting constantly to achieve travel over. I am going to retinstall the factory air intake to see if this makes any difference. Maybe the oil pressure problem is causing the troubles.

Thanks for any comments/advice.

AJPDLA

Reply to
ajpdla

oil, proper

miles round

completed my

air intake,

really gets me

low.

about 50-55.

just the six

speed. It stays

light, it gets as

30-55. This car

under 30 or just

pump needs

as mine is; so

should be.

have enjoyed

effort for the car

Saturn

constantly

air intake to

problem is causing

Low oil pressure can be a symptom of worn bearings. How many miles do you have on your engine?

mechster

Reply to
mechster

107K. I was told that by my mechanic as well, that if I go in there to do any work on the oil pump to just do the bearings as well.

Thanks for the advice.

AJPDLA

Reply to
ajpdla

Sorry, can't answer your other questions, but as for the air intake...what type is it? is it a racing one or something? Short ram? Cold air intake? If it is, you might notice a little loss of your low end power....but your higher end will be a little better. Just floor it real quick so it downshifts, then you should climb that hill with no problem. I don't know though, you should find out about that oil pressure

Reply to
C N

Cold air intake, K&N knockoff type. Love the sound. SOmeone told me, about the upshifting I've experienced, I should have this truck in "3" any tmie I go up a hill so as to allow the transmission to stay in one gear rather than search from 5, to 4, to 3 when just in "D". Makes sense to me. Just figured a V6 would have that standard power; but we'll see how the "3" goes.

AJPDLA

Reply to
ajpdla

I've got a 94 trooper with the same 3.2v6 and sometimes see the oil gauge sitting on nearly 0 at an idle. I posed the question about that here, and someone replied that their trooper had done that for a long time, and they had just learned to ignore it, and everything seemed fine. Soooo...maybe this is somewhat "normal"?

Wesley

Reply to
Ntelos