Activity on the group

Why does this newsgroup receive so few posts and responses. Over the past year I have to look after three of my cars an one for a relative. My Jag X-Type, my GMC Jimmy, my Ford Taurus, and my relatives Camry. I read on a daily basis the news groups for Ford, Camry, 4x4 Chevy-Truck and this one. This newsgroup is totally dead in comparison to the others. I am sure there are a significant number Jag owners, so the question is why are there so few posts and answers?

I posted a question concerning the auto trans for my X-Type a day and a half ago, there is not a single reply. I think this is typical of the activity on the group, but why?

Double Tap

Reply to
Double Tap

There are plenty of dedicated Jag owners. Is there perhaps another newsgroup? If so, I'd like to know which it is! (Maybe Jag owners are too busy in the workshop and haven't enough time to be wannabes posting here!)

Reply to
Aalaan

Double Tap,

This is an excellent question, and one I have often wondered about myself. I think part of the answer may lie in the fact that there is a Jag Forum site which is much more formally organized, but which probably diverts users from this newsgroup. Also, there is a lot of soft p*rn stuff that finds its way into this group due to its informal nature and this may also detract.

On the other hand, there have been issues that sparked incredible response -- the fuel issue for example.

But overall, I don't have a clear answer. Maybe your question will spark an interesting discussion of this important issue.

Strick

Reply to
Alan Strickland

The place to get your answers is here:

Plenty of activity everyday, search the posts and your issues have probably already been covered. Pop along and say hello.

Reply to
MudMuppet

Smartobject

This group has become a place where people just drop by for help and leave. Very few hang around and stare a a single page, other websites have numerous groups and happenings, which is more attractive.

I used to be a regular here but I have knack for offending people since FORD took their existing models to fill their product line , so I now lay low. I spoke how the new transmissions are poor and problematic only to be lambasted as a FORD hater (I was raised on FORDS). Now look, people are not buying Jags and FORD is on the rocks. If FORD had strived like Toyota to build a great product instead of greedily designing transmissions to fail, Jag might have come out of the dark ages. That said a huge amount of Jaguar owners have sold their cars for something a little more reliable, and more importantly, retains a greater resale value.

In this group are still some good people that can get you answers others sites cant provide. In fact this group is referenced by numerous autoforums that gleen their posts from others and act as if their community is where that author resides.

BD

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Blake,

That was a quite interesting response to my post. My interest was peaked when you mention the auto transmission. In my previous post I asked about the fact that there seems to be no mention in the owners manual about servicing the transmission. By going to one of the Jaguar forums I found much my great surprise and I hope not future chagrin that there is no dip stick to check and no recommendation as to when the factory would like a fluid and filter change.

Double tap

Reply to
Double Tap

Yes, these transmissions use a special fluid, that, if mixied with other types of fluid would destoy the seals and friction disks. There is a special tool (Tube) that you use to check the fluid.

Jaguar has had numerous firmware updates to try to resolve numerous complaints of slow shifts and early failures. You should take the plunge and either call a dealer with your serial number, or take your car in for evaluation. Dealer needs to look up your car and firmware number to see if your car has been serviced under all recalls.

Owners that refuse to work with dealers may never find out that there has been recalls and miss out on the chance to improve their Cat. FORD has been known since the 70's to program transmissions to shift softly; this is great for around town, but when you want to put your foot down the slow shifts cause clutch slippage, and then over time, a failure. Firmware can speed the shifts and virtually eliminate shift slippage.

You can service the transmission filter, but to fill the transmission you will need to rent/borrow the trans tool from the dealer or buy one for yourself.

Best of luck! BD

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Double Tap makes an excellent point, I am in deep trouble with my XJR at the moment, but there seems little point in sharing my travails in this forum.

Richard Lichten

Reply to
Turenne

If you were in deep trouble with your XJ40 1988 model, there would be every point :-)

Reply to
Aalaan

Yet you take the time to post this Balouska.

Are your troubles still with your exhaust? Your headlight washers? Ah never mind...

Reply to
Blake Dodson

No, transmission this time. What's a Balouska?

Richard (not so thick as to miss sarcasm) Lichten:)

Reply to
Turenne

Richard,

I must excuse myself, I am easily irritated when I am without my Courvoisier.

I would like to try to assist you with your transmission issues, especially those models with the Mercedes Benz or ZF band-less transmissions.

Balouska simply means "non-sense".

Regards, Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Reply to
Aalaan

Aalaan,

"Babushka" refers to "Grandmother" in Russian. Balouska is non-sense, and if it does have a real definition, it is by accident.

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Reply to
Aalaan

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Try roadfly.com

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

I to own a jag..... posted a question, and a week later I got one response.... I guess I was lucky....I suppose most jag owners just bring their car to a dealer to be fixed instead of fixing them them selves....

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear