Cheap XJS

Hello

Right now I have a chance to pick up a 85 Jaguar XJS HE for a song. It's at a local jag dealer where it's been sitting in their upper level storage place covered in dust for about 3 years. It doesn't run because they've taken a few parts out of the engine compartment (distributors I was told) but evidently, or according to them, it ran just fine when they parked it there. When we tried to start the car, it did spin just fine just wouldn't fire. The body is straight with no rust, the interior is all there but a few pieces like the gauge cluster and radio are sitting in the back seat, leather has no tears and the wood has a few cracks. Car has 80,000 miles on it. I wasn't really in the market for an XJS per se, just came across this and thought it could be a fun project. Does $500-1000 dollars seem like a good offer for this car, and if so would it take a lot of work/money to bring it around? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply to
Paddington

The car ran just fine when the dealer parked it 3 years ago - and just forgot about selling it but remembered to strip parts from the car? That doesn't compute, dealers make their money selling cars not parking them. There's a fly in this ointment - either no title or that the car didn't in fact run or has some undiagnosed problem.

Since you don't know what parts are missing any deal should include a

50% discount on the new replacements for the dealer can't otherwise obtain them (unless he has yet another parts car) and this car is useless without them.

Start with the car's wholesale price as if running and deduct from it the cost of all missing parts and some labor cost, including your labor to install these parts. Then the only question is whether the car has an undisclosed problem - and therein lies your risk.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Sounds like a money pit.

Fraser