LED Bulbs

I'm currently checking out LED brake-light bulbs on my 82 S111. As they activate measurably faster when the brakes are applied, I would assume that they would reduce the chances of someone 'rear-ending' me. Anyone else tried them out?

Reply to
commclinic

Are you making these yourself or are these store bought units? I have found that most over the counter led are of low wattage.

Now I have seriously thought about making my own lighting using powerful leds. But I want to take it beyond ordinary by adding a pulse to the brake circuit...say 100 times per second? Hmmmmmm..... and it would be a simple tidy package.

BD

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Why pulsing? Increase light perception? OK. More perceived brightness for the same average current. Attention catching? This will not work, eye does not see flicker above some

50Hz.

MG

Reply to
MG

Well the c.p.s. was not stated to be accurate but to stress the concept. I think a pulsed light may be more affective getting attention of some people more than others (some people are simply brain dead). Yes, for attention.

A pulsed brake circuit that lasts 3-5 seconds before going continuous, higher wattage LEDS, plug n play... that's what I see. Very small, very simple. Aimed at bicyclists, and ATV's as I am sure the US FEDS would frown disapproval for automotive street use.

I'll put the pipe down now... ;-)

BD

Reply to
Blake Dodson

You can overdrive the led if you pulse it. By pulsing it, I mean faster than the eye can detect. The duty cycle of the pulse will allow you to supply more current than the led can handle in a steady state condition and be brighter. This is done quite often.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
test