Looking for V12.

I am looking for a scrapped out XJ12 or E Type V12 engine.

Reply to davidlkayp at earthlink dot net

Reply to
DLU

US, Northern California.

Reply to
DLU

US, Northern California.

Reply to
DLU

Hi,

Can't help I'm afraid. There are several breakers yards here in the UK, but the shipping cost would be prohibitive.

Best Regards (from a very cold, wet and windy, England)

Richard L

(There is something weird happening. Your answer came into my email inbox and been bouncing about all over the place!!)

Reply to
Turenne

Turenne wrote:

I replied to both the news group and your sending address. I scan almost every day, there might be some sort of glitch but I have not detected it.

The problem with the V12s is that many E Type owners replaced them with Chevy V8s as they did not understand how to keep them running. There were only 7000 roadsters and 7000 2+2s built and I estimate at least half of those were scrapped out eventually. Many of those left were bought by Europeans and Japanese. I have been told my car is worth about three times as much in the UK as here. Unfortunately mine does not have the original engine and the paint is not one of the original colors. Also I have had a high efficiency radiator made for it. They just could not handle the 100 deg. F temperature of the South West US and many engines were wiped out for that reason. There were probably quite a few in Los Angeles but driving to Las Vegas turned out to be fatal in many cases. It is still one of the best looking cars on the road and people look any time I take it out. I have a XJ 12 block in it and that actually helps as the compression is lower than the original E Type, I had the heads rebuilt and it can run on lead free fuel. The original had valves and seats that needed leaded petrol. I have the original radiator and radio which has also been replaced with one that has a CD player and I put in better speakers with a 100 amp amp, and a woofer. My next project is to have the wheels sealed so that I can run tubeless tires (tyres to you). Actually I would like to be able to use a wider tire but I do not think they will clear for turning. I also have to get some rear rotors that have been drilled for better cooling. The rear brakes were also noted for over heating.

It is not really an easy car to work on. It takes about twelve hours to remove the engine and about the same to install it. To work on the rear suspension you have to remove the whole rear assembly. The carburetors have a diagram that gets leaks and has to be replaced and the needle valves wear down affecting the mixture. They sold for a low price for a car with that performance but when people had to pay $500 for a tune up in the 1970s they were allowed to sit and deteriorate.

However, when it is running well it is really fun to drive. They handle great and the V12 makes for a smooth acceleration and great power.

Reply to
DLU

Hi,

These people are quite good:

Breakeryard.com - Used & Secondhand Vehicle Parts.

Find Used Parts here -

Upto 80% OFF Used Car Parts.Parts Hotline direct on *0905 232 3000. Here's a nice one for sale:

I particularly like the V12. I find that they are very useable on a day to day basis and they look great.

This company does upgrades on E Types and V12s, they may be able to give you some advice:

Best Regards

Richard

Reply to
Turenne